Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I bought a used $20 1155 board that had bent pins, all but 2 were extremely easy to fix. The last 2 were sorta stuck together, (no fuggin clue how that happens) I tried separating them for a while and eventually got pissed off and got aggressive with it, one of the pins popped out and the other is back in place with a little piece of the other one stuck to it... I don't know the importance of these 2 pins, but I do know that you can get away with some missing pins depending on what they are. Here is some images of the socket if anyone could help me out. Sorry for the poor quality: https://imgur.com/a/pkTBBFV

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, WolfDeville said:

I bought a used $20 1155 board that had bent pins, all but 2 were extremely easy to fix. The last 2 were sorta stuck together, (no fuggin clue how that happens) I tried separating them for a while and eventually got pissed off and got aggressive with it, one of the pins popped out and the other is back in place with a little piece of the other one stuck to it... I don't know the importance of these 2 pins, but I do know that you can get away with some missing pins depending on what they are. Here is some images of the socket if anyone could help me out. Sorry for the poor quality: https://imgur.com/a/pkTBBFV

Thanks!

Not the help you likely need but maybe a little.

lga1155 means there are 1155 pins. I suspect someone knowing off the top of their head which pins do what to be highly unlikely. 

Intel has a bunch of data sheets.  Some are available from the reference section of the Wikipedia on the socket. Might be able to find more interesting stuff.  A motherboard manufacturer would need to know what they all did. There are 1155 motherboards currently being produced in China so I suspect it has to be recorded somewhere.  The various data sheets Would probably make for a lot of reading and might not even be there.

judging from how close they are together though the concept that all of them are grounds or extraneous in some way strikes me as unlikely.  One could always just pop a processor in and see if it boots of course.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I suspect someone knowing off the top of their head which pins do what to be highly unlikely.

Linus might be able to tell him with his experience with dropping things on sockets.

But yeah, I too would pop a CPU in and see if it boots ok.

?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

-Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

-snip-

16 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

-snip-

I'm a little hesitant to try booting it up incase I damage the CPU. Is there any risk of that happening? I found one data sheet but wasn't entirely sure which side is which so I figured my safest bet was coming here and hoping to get the attention of someone that knows more about this than I do. I'll keep looking for a sheet. Cheers!

2 minutes ago, WolfDeville said:

I'm a little hesitant to try booting it up incase I damage the CPU. Is there any risk of that happening? I found one data sheet but wasn't entirely sure which side is which so I figured my safest bet was coming here and hoping to get the attention of someone that knows more about this than I do. I'll keep looking for a sheet. Cheers!

There might be, yes. No way to tell really, it isn't an exact science not knowing what the pins do. They may do nothing at all or they may be super important.

?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

-Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
5 minutes ago, WolfDeville said:

im wondering if it might be faster to run a magnet over your floor to try to find the pins so you can put them back on.  Or even desoldering the whole socket and putting on a new one if you’ve got BGA reballing equipment.  This is starting to sound like a possible sunken cost fallacy.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

im wondering if it might be faster to run a magnet over your floor to try to find the pins so you can put them back on.  Or even desoldering the whole socket and putting on a new one if you’ve got BGA reballing equipment.  This is starting to sound like a possible sunken cost fallacy.

Oh I had the pin sitting on my desk, I didn't lose it. It was just so mangled up it would be pointless trying to get it back in. I really don't know how the previous owner screwed the pins up this bad.

3 hours ago, WolfDeville said:

Oh I had the pin sitting on my desk, I didn't lose it. It was just so mangled up it would be pointless trying to get it back in. I really don't know how the previous owner screwed the pins up this bad.

Off hand, my guesses from the description would be shipping without a cover or dropping something on the mobo.  If theyre that mangled little can likely be done with them.