My mobo came with a usb 3.1 gen 2 slot.. do i need the drivers?

nelska

I reinstalled windows a few months ago and completely forgot to reinstall msi stuff for my mobo until this morning and realized. I have no usb drivers.. I know the 2.0 ones work and probly even the 3.0 ones but I am almost certain the 3.1 gen 2 ports werent working at all.. My only real question is does anyone know if you HAVE to have those installed for them to work? And if theres anyway to test the speed of the ports without having anything.. 3.1 gen 2? Thanks!

You should always install the latest drivers for components from the manufacturer's website, the ones in Windows Update are usually pretty out of date.   

But yes, you need to install the drivers for those ports. (Controller)

2 minutes ago, si1enze said:

You should always install the latest drivers for components from the manufacturer's website, the ones in Windows Update are usually pretty out of date.   

But yes, you need to install the drivers for those ports. (Controller)

I mean i dont even own anything 3.1 gen 2 but having the slot dead is never a good thing. Gotta remember to install those next time i reinstall.

You don't have to re-install Windows for that, just download the driver and install it.  It's up to you. :)

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

You don't have to re-install Windows for that, just download the driver and install it.  It's up to you. :)

since ive got your attention.. i tried to install the intel vga driver but the who file crashed.. im guessing its because i have an nvidia gpu installed? i duno why it wouldnt hurt to install but should i be worried it wont.. at all?

There's literally no reason to install the driver for the internal or onboard GPU if you have a dedicated GPU.

If you want the drivers installed, just remove your dedicated GPU, boot up to Windows and install the driver.  I haven't seen anybody have much luck trying to use an onboard GPU or on-die (in the processor) GPU at the same time for multiple displays or anything to any benefit other than some very specific situations.  Like an AMD APU with a dedicated GPU.. but those are all old now.

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

There's literally no reason to install the driver for the internal or onboard GPU if you have a dedicated GPU.

good good. It's crazy to know I've had a dead plug for the last 6 months or whatever it's been since i swapped out and installed on m.2

2 minutes ago, si1enze said:

If you want the drivers installed, just remove your dedicated GPU, boot up to Windows and install the driver.  I haven't seen anybody have much luck trying to use an onboard GPU or on-die (in the processor) GPU at the same time for multiple displays or anything to any benefit other than some very specific situations.  Like an AMD APU with a dedicated GPU.. but those are all old now.

its for the oldest port ever the VGA.. Will it not run at all without it. or whut. prolly doesnt really matter.

Just leave it dormant. lol  It won't hurt anything.

Just now, si1enze said:

Just leave it dormant. lol  It won't hurt anything.

The gpu came with a converter from vga to whatevers on the gpu anyway.