Recommendations?

Hello, I am looking to upgrade my pc I have a budget of about $700.  I am going to get a ryzen 7, a motherboard, and some new ram if possible.  First of all, Is the 3800X worth the $30 more dollars than then 3070X cost?  Secondly, Any recommendations for a motherboard that is compatible with those cpus?  Also any recommendations for ram?  Ty :D

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Upgrade from what?

right now i have a core i5-4590, some weird budget asrack board, and 16 gb of 2600 ddr4

5 minutes ago, StealthyMC20 said:

right now i have a core i5-4590, some weird budget asrack board, and 16 gb of 2600 ddr4

And you use your pc for?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, StealthyMC20 said:

gaming 

What gpu and power supply do you have?

What display?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

corsair tx650m 
2 random 1080p monitors (gonna upgrade peripherals last prob)
 and only a gtx 950 gonna get a 3070 tho once i have the money and it is back in stock

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What gpu and power supply do you have?

What display?

resolution and FPS.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

3 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

resolution and FPS.

no idea what fps. they arent good 1 is just a cheep $120 monitor and the other one is my moms work monitor...

A 4590 will have DDR3, so that won't be transferrable to Ryzen.

The 3800X is generally not worth the premium over the 3700X, but I think you'd probably see more improvement from a GPU upgrade anyway, especially if you're aiming for higher settings at 1080p60.

Please use the following format and this should be in "New Builds and Planning" subforum. It should not take an unnecessary amount of posts to get three answers to questions that are not fighting tooth and nail for. 

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

8 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

A 4590 will have DDR3, so that won't be transferrable to Ryzen.

The 3800X is generally not worth the premium over the 3700X, but I think you'd probably see more improvement from a GPU upgrade anyway, especially if you're aiming for higher settings at 1080p60.

ok thanks

8 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Please use the following format and this should be in "New Builds and Planning" subforum. It should not take an unnecessary amount of posts to get three answers to questions that are not fighting tooth and nail for. 

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

ok sry im new to this forums thing...

ok sry im new to this forums thing...

That's fine but for the next time. You would see marginal performance gains with the 3800X over the 3700X, so its really up to you whether you really believe that small amount of performance gains is worth $30. I've had a lot of luck with Corsair RAM and swear by it. DDR4-3200 with low CL timings should be good for your system whether you decide to go with a 3700X or 3800X. For the motherboard, a decent B550 ATX board will be fine, anything from MSI, Asus, Gigabyte. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

That's fine but for the next time. You would see marginal performance gains with the 3800X over the 3700X, so its really up to you whether you really believe that small amount of performance gains is worth $30. I've had a lot of luck with Corsair RAM and swear by it. DDR4-3200 with low CL timings should be good for your system whether you decide to go with a 3700X or 3800X. For the motherboard, a decent B550 ATX board will be fine, anything from MSI, Asus, Gigabyte. 

alright thanks for all the help :D i will look into those products 

11 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Also 1 last question.  How many gb of ram should I be looking at? 8 or 16? or more..?

Also 1 last question.  How many gb of ram should I be looking at? 8 or 16? 

16GB is pretty much the minimum for gaming nowadays. If you plan on doing heavier workload applications like video rendering, CAD, workstation-like applications, then go for 32GB.

should i look at getting 32 if im planning on maybe streaming games such as mc in the future?  

2 minutes ago, StealthyMC20 said:

should i look at getting 32 if im planning on maybe streaming games such as mc in the future?  

Its a good idea to get 32 then, especially if you plan on playing with a lot of mods and some resource hogging games like Modern Warfare. 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Its a good idea to get 32 then, especially if you plan on playing with a lot of mods and some resource hogging games like Modern Warfare. 

Ok again thank you so much for all of the help :) 

Ok again thank you so much for all of the help :) 

Anytime!! Also, RAM prices are down quite a bit from when I bought my kits ($190 for 16GB) and 32GB is worth having if you plan on having the system for a long time (~5-6 years). 

alright.  Are ram prices down that much though?  From what i see on corsairs site its about an average of 150 usd for 32? but u got 16 got 190?

14 hours ago, MarfP said:

Perhaps I would wait for the new 5000 series, the new Ryzens have really good gaming performance.

If not, this would do great:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Extreme4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($184.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($129.66 @ Amazon) 
Total: $624.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-27 03:42 EDT-0400

Sorry for the late reply but the 5000 series?