Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, I am looking to upgrade my pc I have a budget of about $700.  I am going to get a ryzen 7, a motherboard, and some new ram if possible.  First of all, Is the 3800X worth the $30 more dollars than then 3070X cost?  Secondly, Any recommendations for a motherboard that is compatible with those cpus?  Also any recommendations for ram?  Ty :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade from what?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Upgrade from what?

right now i have a core i5-4590, some weird budget asrack board, and 16 gb of 2600 ddr4

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StealthyMC20 said:

right now i have a core i5-4590, some weird budget asrack board, and 16 gb of 2600 ddr4

And you use your pc for?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StealthyMC20 said:

gaming 

What gpu and power supply do you have?

 

What display?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites

corsair tx650m 
2 random 1080p monitors (gonna upgrade peripherals last prob)
 and only a gtx 950 gonna get a 3070 tho once i have the money and it is back in stock

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What gpu and power supply do you have?

 

What display?

resolution and FPS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------    Spec: Asus Vivobook S140UN    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

| CPU: i5-8250U Turbo 3.4Ghz | 

| RAM: 8 single-channel DDR4 2333mhz |

| Storage: 128GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB HTSG HDD

 | GPU: MX-150 4Gb 25 TDP |

| Monitor: LGMK430H-B |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

resolution and FPS.

no idea what fps. they arent good 1 is just a cheep $120 monitor and the other one is my moms work monitor...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A 4590 will have DDR3, so that won't be transferrable to Ryzen.

 

The 3800X is generally not worth the premium over the 3700X, but I think you'd probably see more improvement from a GPU upgrade anyway, especially if you're aiming for higher settings at 1080p60.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please use the following format and this should be in "New Builds and Planning" subforum. It should not take an unnecessary amount of posts to get three answers to questions that are not fighting tooth and nail for. 

 

 

Budget (including currency): 

Country: 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

A 4590 will have DDR3, so that won't be transferrable to Ryzen.

 

The 3800X is generally not worth the premium over the 3700X, but I think you'd probably see more improvement from a GPU upgrade anyway, especially if you're aiming for higher settings at 1080p60.

ok thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Please use the following format and this should be in "New Builds and Planning" subforum. It should not take an unnecessary amount of posts to get three answers to questions that are not fighting tooth and nail for. 

 

 

Budget (including currency): 

Country: 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

ok sry im new to this forums thing...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StealthyMC20 said:

ok sry im new to this forums thing...

That's fine but for the next time. You would see marginal performance gains with the 3800X over the 3700X, so its really up to you whether you really believe that small amount of performance gains is worth $30. I've had a lot of luck with Corsair RAM and swear by it. DDR4-3200 with low CL timings should be good for your system whether you decide to go with a 3700X or 3800X. For the motherboard, a decent B550 ATX board will be fine, anything from MSI, Asus, Gigabyte. 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

That's fine but for the next time. You would see marginal performance gains with the 3800X over the 3700X, so its really up to you whether you really believe that small amount of performance gains is worth $30. I've had a lot of luck with Corsair RAM and swear by it. DDR4-3200 with low CL timings should be good for your system whether you decide to go with a 3700X or 3800X. For the motherboard, a decent B550 ATX board will be fine, anything from MSI, Asus, Gigabyte. 

alright thanks for all the help :D i will look into those products 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

That's fine but for the next time. You would see marginal performance gains with the 3800X over the 3700X, so its really up to you whether you really believe that small amount of performance gains is worth $30. I've had a lot of luck with Corsair RAM and swear by it. DDR4-3200 with low CL timings should be good for your system whether you decide to go with a 3700X or 3800X. For the motherboard, a decent B550 ATX board will be fine, anything from MSI, Asus, Gigabyte. 

Also 1 last question.  How many gb of ram should I be looking at? 8 or 16? or more..?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StealthyMC20 said:

Also 1 last question.  How many gb of ram should I be looking at? 8 or 16? 

16GB is pretty much the minimum for gaming nowadays. If you plan on doing heavier workload applications like video rendering, CAD, workstation-like applications, then go for 32GB.

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

should i look at getting 32 if im planning on maybe streaming games such as mc in the future?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StealthyMC20 said:

should i look at getting 32 if im planning on maybe streaming games such as mc in the future?  

Its a good idea to get 32 then, especially if you plan on playing with a lot of mods and some resource hogging games like Modern Warfare. 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Its a good idea to get 32 then, especially if you plan on playing with a lot of mods and some resource hogging games like Modern Warfare. 

Ok again thank you so much for all of the help :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StealthyMC20 said:

Ok again thank you so much for all of the help :) 

Anytime!! Also, RAM prices are down quite a bit from when I bought my kits ($190 for 16GB) and 32GB is worth having if you plan on having the system for a long time (~5-6 years). 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

alright.  Are ram prices down that much though?  From what i see on corsairs site its about an average of 150 usd for 32? but u got 16 got 190?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps I would wait for the new 5000 series, the new Ryzens have really good gaming performance.

If not, this would do great:

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Extreme4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($184.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($129.66 @ Amazon) 
Total: $624.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-27 03:42 EDT-0400

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MarfP said:

Perhaps I would wait for the new 5000 series, the new Ryzens have really good gaming performance.

If not, this would do great:

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Extreme4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($184.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($129.66 @ Amazon) 
Total: $624.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-27 03:42 EDT-0400

Sorry for the late reply but the 5000 series? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×