RTX 3080 issue

Skrubbmeister

Hey,

Since I received my Strix 3080 OC almost two weeks ago I've had some strange issues with the card. The performance is off the charts, and I haven't had any crashes so far. The problem I'm having however is that after using the card for a couple hours, I start getting a headache, general discomfort in the head and face, and trouble focusing my eyes on the screen. I also feel a little dizzy and "stoned" when using the card. This gets worse over time, and if I play a whole evening, I can still feel the headache the day after. I've had similar issues earlier with a monitor, an Asus Swift PG279QE, which I had to return because of this issue. Right now I'm using two monitors that I haven't had any issues with before. I also don't use my computer any more or less than I did before. The components I changed to in the upgrade are as follows:

- Asus RTX 3080 ROG Strix OC

- Corsair RM850x

- Asus ROG Strix z490-F

- Intel i7-10700k at stock speed

This seems very strange to me, since this seems like something that wouldn't be caused by internal components in the computer. I also get this in general use of the computer, not just in games. It seems like I might just be sensitive to certain high-power electronics. Something that might be noteworthy is that I also use wireless headphones, Corsair H2100, maybe there's some weird interaction there. I don't get the issue when I switch back to my ROG Strix 1080. I'm afraid I'll have to get rid of the card if I can't figure out what's causing this. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

It's the guilt of spending that much money on a graphics card... or coil whine.

check to see if the refresh rate has not been reset.

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

4 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

check to see if the refresh rate has not been reset.

On the monitors? The refresh rate is the same as before.

19 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It's the guilt of spending that much money on a graphics card... or coil whine.

Can coil whine really cause headaches? Even when using headphones?

Just now, Skrubbmeister said:

On the monitors? The refresh rate is the same as before.

just wanted to check as sometimes it can be reset if you change or upgrade a GPU. and if it was lower you can effect some people

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

Just now, Skrubbmeister said:

Can coil whine really cause headaches? Even when using headphones?

Some frequencies can cause headaches if you are exposed to the noise long enough. I can't tell if that's your actual issue but it certainly is possible.

I would definitely look for a different cause first since coil whine is most of the time only annoying and not really a headache inducing thing. Maybe you are just tired?

58 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Some frequencies can cause headaches if you are exposed to the noise long enough. I can't tell if that's your actual issue but it certainly is possible.

I would definitely look for a different cause first since coil whine is most of the time only annoying and not really a headache inducing thing. Maybe you are just tired?

Don't think I'm just tired, no. What happens to me only happens when using the pc, and I notice it pretty quickly (30min-1hr). After doing some reading I've noticed that it might qualify as a migraine. Super strange.

1 hour ago, Skrubbmeister said:

I'm afraid I'll have to get rid of the card if I can't figure out what's causing this

Well if it comes to that, ill swap you straight across for my EVGA 2070 FTW 3 Ultra+.

But to be honest, I really don't see a GPU causing headaches unless its refresh rate, or maybe motion sickness?

Edited by cr8tor
more important numbers added

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

14 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Well if it comes to that, ill swap you straight across for my EVGA 2070 FTW 3 Ultra+.

But to be honest, I really don't see a GPU causing headaches unless its refresh rate, or maybe motion sickness?

Yeah, refresh rate is the same, and it's not motion sickness. This even happens outside of games and 3d applications.

Well, i'm still willing to swap you cards if you want.

Personally, i don't think your computer components are causing physical discomfort.

For one, they are all in a metal box that would block most electrical signals.

Do you have a cellphone with 5g?

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

2 hours ago, cr8tor said:

Well, i'm still willing to swap you cards if you want.

Personally, i don't think your computer components are causing physical discomfort.

For one, they are all in a metal box that would block most electrical signals.

Do you have a cellphone with 5g?

The phone I have now doesn't have 5g, and I haven't had any issues with it since I received it around a year ago. One thing that is rather interesting is when I had the same problem with my PG279QE monitor, is that the issue was present even when I wasn't looking at the monitor, just when it was turned on and nearby. I've had the thought that this might be psychological, but I did a blind test where another person plugged the monitor in at a random time during the day, with an extension cord to the next room. Even with the monitor facing away from me, I was able to tell within two minutes that it was turned on (brightness was turned way down, there were no distinguishable visual cues). Which is leading me towards the conclusion that I might just be sensitive to hardware that pulls a lot of power, or certain frequencies (or I might be completely out of my mind, I have no idea).

8 minutes ago, Skrubbmeister said:

Which is leading me towards the conclusion that I might just be sensitive to hardware that pulls a lot of power

Do you have a hearing aid, heart monitor, or any other electronics for health reasons?

I will admit im skeptical of the human body being able to detect electrical items such as these. 

However, who knows really, there is much science left to do. 

I think you may be on your own past this. At least i have no other suggestions at this point.

But if you want to, ill still swap you for my EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ 🙂

Family machines

2 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Do you have a hearing aid, heart monitor, or any other electronics for health reasons?

I will admit im skeptical of the human body being able to detect electrical items such as these. 

However, who knows really, there is much science left to do. 

I think you may be on your own past this. At least i have no other suggestions at this point.

But if you want to, ill still swap you for my EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ 🙂

Haha, unfortunately a swap is out of the question. If I get rid of the card I'll either return it or sell it to one of my friends who haven't been lucky enough to get a card yet. And I understand your hesitation towards people being able to feel electronics, I still don't believe it entirely myself. But it certainly seems like it might be a possibility, after my recent experiences. I think a power supply swap might be up next, from what I've heard from others experiencing headaches from coil whine, that's helped on occasion. Anyways, thanks for your help so far :)

23 minutes ago, Skrubbmeister said:

thanks for your help so far

Yep, dont think i helped much but you are welcome.

And good luck.

I figured you wouldnt want to swap, but hey, gotta try. lol

Family machines

Update: Underclocking the card hasn't made the problem go away, but it seems a bit better than before.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just got an RTX 3070 OC and have started getting headaches which develop into a nausea/dizzy sensation in my head. Once it starts can last for hours. Much like your description. Only seems to happen in some games, although today after doing some work and browsing with no game play I later developed the headache and dizziness again.

Vsync seemed to help in the games. 60Hz monitor.

Have used Nvidia control panel to reduce FPS to 24 for everything and noticed immediate improvement to headache. Suggest this for anyone else that experiences this problem. Will experiment and increase FPS until headaches/dizziness returns.

• 4 weeks later...

Im having the exact same issue using a 3080 with my asus rog strix 438. I seem to notice it more when i turn Gsync on actually and ive noticed severe flickering issues with with lower quality games when gsync is active. Sometime lowering the refresh rate has helped that doesnt seem to make any sense. Ive never had eyestrain issue and dont notice it much when im just using it for video editing.

• 2 years later...
On 10/24/2020 at 6:33 PM, Skrubbmeister said:

Hey,

Since I received my Strix 3080 OC almost two weeks ago I've had some strange issues with the card. The performance is off the charts, and I haven't had any crashes so far. The problem I'm having however is that after using the card for a couple hours, I start getting a headache, general discomfort in the head and face, and trouble focusing my eyes on the screen. I also feel a little dizzy and "stoned" when using the card. This gets worse over time, and if I play a whole evening, I can still feel the headache the day after. I've had similar issues earlier with a monitor, an Asus Swift PG279QE, which I had to return because of this issue. Right now I'm using two monitors that I haven't had any issues with before. I also don't use my computer any more or less than I did before. The components I changed to in the upgrade are as follows:

- Corsair RM850x

- Asus ROG Strix z490-F

This seems very strange to me, since this seems like something that wouldn't be caused by internal components in the computer. I also get this in general use of the computer, not just in games. It seems like I might just be sensitive to certain high-power electronics. Something that might be noteworthy is that I also use wireless headphones, Corsair H2100, maybe there's some weird interaction there. I don't get the issue when I switch back to my ROG Strix 1080. I'm afraid I'll have to get rid of the card if I can't figure out what's causing this. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

ANY UPDATE PLEASE?? WHAT IN GODS NAME IS EXACTLY MAKING ME FEEL EXACTLY LIKE THIS? Burnt PCB? Electric Interference? DP Port interference? SOMEONE, ANYONE HELP!!!!!!

Turns out it may have been (75% sure) that it was weirdly enough... my NVME drive?? I took it out and used my backup 1 tb ssd to boot windows... and I don't feel dizzy anymore. I noticed that there was some weird 'moisture' on the sticker of the NVME. Samsung NVME, EVGA 3080 FTW3, Alienware aw3423dw monitor. Maybe a high frequency/heat may have burned something but it felt like a mysterious gas that was making me delirious on purpose while gaming to keep me stuck on gaming to make me high while gaming to keep companies profits skyrocketing... ok now I sound insane but bless your soul if you found this problem bc your PC gave u brainfog. Bless your heart and soul. 

Take Care,

-VasDe

On 10/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, Skrubbmeister said:

Hey,

- Corsair RM850x

- Asus ROG Strix z490-F

My sister gets bad headaches under certain light conditions. Check that the lighting with the monitor hasn't changed. Or even try windows night light. Other than that I have no ideas.