gtx 680,690 or titan

i'm starting a new build and i'm finding it hard to pick out a video card. My goal is to be able to crysis 3 with the settings maxed out,my budget is $2000 on video cards but i would like to save as much as possible. i want to overclock my cards too.

Titan :) the beat can over clock like no tomorrow and also stock performance is killer and its quite and everyone loves quietness :) 

I would definitely leave the 680 out of this one if you're going for high resolutions. The only 3 cards I'd go for are the 690, Titan and 7990 at 1440p/1600p. If you're running on a 1080p monitor which I hope you aren't, especially with this kind of horsepower you're going to be getting, I'd say any one of these three cards by themselves would be able to run Crysis 3 maxed out no problem on a single 1080p monitor no problem. Dual 680s will do better compared to the Titan in this resolution though.

Here's Linus's benchmark on the Titan

If you're going to 1600p I'd go for the Titan seeing as the Titan trumphs the ARES II which is essentially a 7990.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Titan. Looks cool, runs cool, and can easily handle Crysis 3 at ma settings.

im probably going to go with the titan because its the most consistent among the "heavyweights". what monitors do you recommend? 

wait for the 700 series... the GTX 780 might actualy out perform the titan in SLI and cost about the same

Character artist in the Games industry.

What kind of monitor are you going for? Size and resolution.

wait for the 700 series... the GTX 780 might actualy out perform the titan in SLI and cost about the same

The 780 is gonna cost probably  599 USD which would make it cheaper compared to the Titan but I wouldn't say it will outperform the Titan, due to the fact that it hasn't been released yet. So we shouldn't start guessing just yet

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

i'm starting a new build and i'm finding it hard to pick out a video card. My goal is to be able to crysis 3 with the settings maxed out,my budget is $2000 on video cards but i would like to save as much as possible. i want to overclock my cards too.

7990's or 7950's in quad crossfire.

anything else is kinda MEH right now. new amd beta drivers fix crossfire frame rendering issues.

I would go titan like i did, I had the money spent it and enjoyed every minute of it, until i went titan sli and now its like a nerdgasm every time i boot it up, but a single titan is more than enough at 1080p and 1440p

[THE TITAN]

CASECorsair C70 (BLACK+RED Leds) | CPU:  i7 3930k | CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i | MOTHERBOARDASUS Rampage IV Formula | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB | SSD: SAMSUNG 840PRO (512GB) | 

HDD: Western Digital Black (2TB)+(2TB) GPUGTX TITAN X2 IN SLI | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | SOUND CARD: Xonar Phoebus | MONITORS: ASUS PB278Q X3 IN NVIDIA Surround |

Like what Linus said on his reviews on the Titan, it depends on your usage scenario. If you are gaming only on a single 1080p/1200p monitor then stick to a GTX690. If you start gaming on higher resolutions or multi-monitor ones, the Titan starts to flex its muscle. Although, based on benchmarks I've seen a single Titan, basically all graphics cards that were tested, on a 1440p/1600p monitor will have trouble handling Crysis 3 at full on max settings and would need a 2nd one.

Like what Linus said on his reviews on the Titan, it depends on your usage scenario. If you are gaming only on a single 1080p/1200p monitor then stick to a GTX690. If you start gaming on higher resolutions or multi-monitor ones, the Titan starts to flex its muscle. Although, based on benchmarks I've seen a single Titan, basically all graphics cards that were tested, on a 1440p/1600p monitor will have trouble handling Crysis 3 at full on max settings and would need a 2nd one.

He does have a $2000 budget which would mean two Titans wahahahahaha. This guy would have one of the biggest E-dicks out there LOL

I would go with GTX Titan
Anyway ,if you want to save money, get an gtx 680 ,, it is very good, i have the EVGA FTW GTX 680 ,,,is performing very well in c3

What kind of monitor are you going for? Size and resolution.

The 780 is gonna cost probably  599 USD which would make it cheaper compared to the Titan but I wouldn't say it will outperform the Titan, due to the fact that it hasn't been released yet. So we shouldn't start guessing just yet

from what i have seen in the past it should be 30% over the 680 and from what i know its going to be using the same GPU just a little more cut down and 5gb instead of 6gb of DRAM

from what i have seen in the past it should be 30% over the 680 and from what i know its going to be using the same GPU just a little more cut down and 5gb instead of 6gb of DRAM

I'm dubious of the rumoured specs of the "780" because it's not that much weaker than the Titan on paper. At the rumoured price of $599, it will have to be cut down even more or else they would lose their justification for Titan's price. At those specs, $800+ would be the expected price. To come close to the $500-$600 price range, they would need to cut down the GK110 chip by probably 1/4th.

I'm dubious of the rumoured specs of the "780" because it's not that much weaker than the Titan on paper. At the rumoured price of $599, it will have to be cut down even more or else they would lose their justification for Titan's price. At those specs, $800+ would be the expected price. To come close to the $500-$600 price range, they would need to cut down the GK110 chip by probably 1/4th.

the reason why they are able to put the cost down so low is cause the production costs get cheaper as they go... the gpu used in the titan was meant for the 600 series, but the speed of the GK110 was considerably more powerful then they where expecting, thats why they postponed there use till the 700 series cause but ultimatly thought they would do a no bs model and call it the titan... the chip of the titan is slightly larger than what the 700 series models are going to be

the reason why they are able to put the cost down so low is cause the production costs get cheaper as they go... the gpu used in the titan was meant for the 600 series, but the speed of the GK110 was considerably more powerful then they where expecting, thats why they postponed there use till the 700 series cause but ultimatly thought they would do a no bs model and call it the titan... the chip of the titan is slightly larger than what the 700 series models are going to be

That's true but the the supposed specs say 2,495 CUDA cores. That's only 193 less than the full GK110 chips the Titans has which is 2,688. The problem with this is that the flagship mainstream models like the 580, 680, and 780 have the trend of not being locked in by Nvidia unlike the 590, 690, and Titan. This would mean that AIB partners would be able to make non-reference models like MSI's, Lightning series, EVGA's Classified series, and ASUS' Matrix series which have been known to boost the performance by quite a margin compared to the reference models. With this in mind, it would be quite possible for it to match or surpass the Titan's performance which I doubt Nvidia would like to happen. It's virtually suicide since Titan owners who paid the $1,000 premium expect it to be the top end in performance longer than a few months. Nvidia would need to do a few ways to prevent this like: bumping up the price, cut it down down even more, or disallow their AIB partners from modifying the reference design.

I would say go for the titan. The effective 2gb vram on the 690 will not be enough for high resolutions in future games. Also the titan overclocks like a beast

That's true but the the supposed specs say 2,495 CUDA cores. That's only 193 less than the full GK110 chips the Titans has which is 2,688. The problem with this is that the flagship mainstream models like the 580, 680, and 780 have the trend of not being locked in by Nvidia unlike the 590, 690, and Titan. This would mean that AIB partners would be able to make non-reference models like MSI's, Lightning series, EVGA's Classified series, and ASUS' Matrix series which have been known to boost the performance by quite a margin compared to the reference models. With this in mind, it would be quite possible for it to match or surpass the Titan's performance which I doubt Nvidia would like to happen. It's virtually suicide since Titan owners who paid the $1,000 premium expect it to be the top end in performance longer than a few months. Nvidia would need to do a few ways to prevent this like: bumping up the price, cut it down down even more, or disallow their AIB partners from modifying the reference design.

dont forget that the main cause in the difference of performance is how the PCB is designed... also Nvidia Green light will help suppress that, but in my opinion i would much rather Nvidia make the 780 a 4gb model of the Titan and then drop performance down little by little for each teir of card. im getting bored of them holding back on there hardware when they know they can like go "<.< thats so slow look at this" and a nuke goes of... if they expect people to keep pooring money at 15-30% increase in performance each generation then they are going to loose sells.

i know for a fact that the people who work at Intel and Nvidia are able to make the current generation look like athlons CPU's with onboard graphics, but there companies limiting outflow really suppresses there ability to actualy do allot better than they should be. im sure if they go  "fuck it" on the next generation of hardware and dont go half ass with anything then wait a few years later and do the same again rather than drip feed everyone with a more or less copied and pasted form of what they have already done it would be soo much better.

dont forget that the main cause in the difference of performance is how the PCB is designed... also Nvidia Green light will help suppress that, but in my opinion i would much rather Nvidia make the 780 a 4gb model of the Titan and then drop performance down little by little for each teir of card. im getting bored of them holding back on there hardware when they know they can like go "<.< thats so slow look at this" and a nuke goes of... if they expect people to keep pooring money at 15-30% increase in performance each generation then they are going to loose sells.

i know for a fact that the people who work at Intel and Nvidia are able to make the current generation look like athlons CPU's with onboard graphics, but there companies limiting outflow really suppresses there ability to actualy do allot better than they should be. im sure if they go "fuck it" on the next generation of hardware and dont go half ass with anything then wait a few years later and do the same again rather than drip feed everyone with a more or less copied and pasted form of what they have already done it would be soo much better.

Blame AMD. Intel and/or Nvidia are not going to bother throwing out their best cards if the competition does not warrant it. Like the 600 series cards. It's true that the GK110 was the true Kepler chip but when they saw AMD's 7000 series cards and said "meh. we can match that with a baby version of our full chip." So unless AMD can really give them some strong competition, they'll keep holding back.

Blame AMD. Intel and/or Nvidia are not going to bother throwing out their best cards if the competition does not warrant it. Like the 600 series cards. It's true that the GK110 was the true Kepler chip but when they saw AMD's 7000 series cards and said "meh. we can match that with a baby version of our full chip." So unless AMD can really give them some strong competition, they'll keep holding back.

ohai amd 7970 beating 680 in most games? ohai. 

nvidia isn't putting out higher specced products because they don't need to for their market shares. they still retain their share of the market, without a 25% increase every year. why? because thats how things are. a combination of fanboyism, media, competition, other brand hate, etc. 

to say it is all on amd is quite ludicrously wrong. there ARE limits for them. they cannot take a new fabrication process and immediately create a 50000% increase in performance, they are progressing steadily as is every other company to meet demands. you say that there is poor competition, but going from the 6970 to 7970 there is MUCH more than a 15% increase in performance, especially if you look at minimum fps. please try to be more objective, because each company has their features (good or bad).

ohai amd 7970 beating 680 in most games? ohai. 

nvidia isn't putting out higher specced products because they don't need to for their market shares. they still retain their share of the market, without a 25% increase every year. why? because thats how things are. a combination of fanboyism, media, competition, other brand hate, etc. 

to say it is all on amd is quite ludicrously wrong. there ARE limits for them. they cannot take a new fabrication process and immediately create a 50000% increase in performance, they are progressing steadily as is every other company to meet demands. you say that there is poor competition, but going from the 6970 to 7970 there is MUCH more than a 15% increase in performance, especially if you look at minimum fps. please try to be more objective, because each company has their features (good or bad).

That's after the Never Settle drivers came out. On release of the 600 series, they were pretty much matched with AMDs 7000 series and edging it out in a few instances. This rumored early release of the 700 series is their way of beating out AMDs Never Settle while they are busy concentrating on the console market and refreshers of the 7000 series. While it is true that it would be more expensive for them to implement the full GK110 Kepler chip since it is very hard to manufacture hence only being available to their Tesla series. It took them this long to release Titan because they needed to stockpile failed Tesla chips to get enough. There are exceptions though like their large bump in performance going from the 200 series to 400 series. I'm not being a fanboy but this is Nvidia's usual MO.

i don't have buy it now just within a couple months, right now the titan is the best choice because i will be gaming over multiple monitors. i just dont want to get it and find out that nvidia or amd put out a card the makes the titan look like the small kid on the playground.

have you heard of a release date yet for the 700 series?