Replacing hard drive

The_Moose_is_Loose

Hello.

Is there an easy way to transfer my laptop's hard drive to my usb drive so I can replace it with a larger one and then transfer the image back? I only have one m.2 bay in the laptop and bought a brand new hard drive that was on sale. Not sure what would be the easiest way since it won't be able to boot up with no operating system on the new one.

Any advice?

James

You can make a Windows Backup in System Settings iirc. If you have a SATA to USB adapter, you can hook that up and use a software cloner.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

If you're talking about just connecting your old 2.5" sata hard drive/ssd to the laptop to copy files from it, that's easily done with a USB adapter like these

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Adapter-Optimized-EC-SSHD/dp/B011M8YACM/

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-free-Enclosure-Optimized-EC-UASP/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S/

As far as cloning/imaging the drive over to new media, I don't bother with that as personally every time I've ever done that it takes significantly more time to do than to just install windows on a new drive and copy stuff over.

Yeah I don't have a cable. I was hoping to get it done today but cannot find the windows key that came with the laptop. I may have to order a cable and wait.

25 minutes ago, The_Moose_is_Loose said:

Yeah I don't have a cable. I was hoping to get it done today but cannot find the windows key that came with the laptop. I may have to order a cable and wait.

Iirc, as long as you login with the same microsoft account, you don't need the windows key. System integrators usually don't even give any since Windows 8, they use the digital license. You can search up how to get the key from your laptop if you need using the command prompt on google.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

Hold on, does your laptop have a hard drive or an M.2 SSD?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Sorry for the late reply. It is an M.2. I put the new one in and used my USB Windows repair tool to get windows up and running. Apparently the activation key is built into the machine? I was able to install most of my old free programs and get them up. I then ordered a M.2 enclosure for the old drive and was able to transfer my files the next day. It is definitely faster and double the space.

My only question is now, how do I reinstall the old programs without their installer. My 3d printer program for instance was specific to that brand and my old program has all of the custom settings and calibrations. I moved it over onto the new drive and I can use it, but it doesn't show up in the start menu. It's not like it's integrated into the computer but just running in the folder I pulled from the old drive.

Is there a trick or should I just deal with it?