Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMD's GPU equivelents

As of writing this, the Big Navi reveal hasn't happened yet.

I am looking to upgrade my old R9 390 to a newer GPU. Currently the RTX 3080 is looking very lucrative, but since it's out of stock everywhere I'm not decided yet. 

If AMD can impress then I have no issues going with AMD. But my dilemma is about the extra things, does AMD have an equivelant to stuff like DLSS 2.0 and other nice-to-haves.

The nvenc encoder for streaming etc and raytracing capabilities.

I'm probably going to use this GPU for 5+ years so I'd like to have all the nice things I can.

I know that these questions might be hard to answer as their presenation is next week, but maybe something has been leaked, so I thought it'd be worth a shot.

TIA

Link to post
Share on other sites

Afaik AMD doesn't currently have anything equivalent to DLSS 2.0 or NVENC. Linus also said NVIDIA is worlds ahead of AMD in this regard. Also AMD never had any ray-tracing accelerated card, so there is absolutely no way to tell how good it will work. And if AMDs ray-tracing implementation even works with the "RTX" maketed apps will be another point alltogether. We'll have to see in the presentation.

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List          How to choose a Monitor          My Samsung Odyssey G7 Review

 

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @4.7GHz all-core OC (1.3125V) - Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V1 - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X @2.1GHz Core / 10GHz VRAM - RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix @3600Mhz cl14 (1.45V) - PSU: Corsair RMx 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (System) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK custom loop + Alphacool GPU Block - Case: CoolerMaster H500 - Fans: Noctua NF-F12 chromax - AMP/DAC: Asus Xonar Essence STX II - Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitors: 2x LG 27GN850-B HDR-Gaming-TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Mouse: Logitech G Pro wireless + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 600 Ohm - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

 

Temperatures: (Furmark CPU-Burner and GPU-Burner running at the same time. Measured after water temperature hits equilibrium.)

CPU: 70°C

GPU: 52°C

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Afaik AMD doesn't currently have anything equivalent to DLSS 2.0 or NVENC. Linus also said NVIDIA is worlds ahead of AMD in this regard. Also AMD never had any ray-tracing accelerated card, so there is absolutely no way to tell how good it will work. And if AMDs ray-tracing implementation even works with the "RTX" maketed apps will be another point alltogether. We'll have to see in the presentation.

We'll just have to see I guess. It'll be exciting but honestly if they can't match a lot of those things it's going to be NVIDIA this gen for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buttefly said:

We'll just have to see I guess. It'll be exciting but honestly if they can't match a lot of those things it's going to be NVIDIA this gen for me.

Yeah i already have a 3080 and didn't bother to wait for AMD because i don't expect them to meet a lot of features of the RTX GPUs. Maybe performance will be competitive, but they still have a long way to go to match NVIDIA in terms of the overall package you get with your GPU. There are just so many nice bonuses you get with the RTX cards...

 

For example NVIDIA only took 1-2 weeks to get the stability problems sorted out after launch. If i remember correctly after the 5700XT launch it took AMD at least a few months until they started to sort their driver issues out.

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List          How to choose a Monitor          My Samsung Odyssey G7 Review

 

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @4.7GHz all-core OC (1.3125V) - Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V1 - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X @2.1GHz Core / 10GHz VRAM - RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix @3600Mhz cl14 (1.45V) - PSU: Corsair RMx 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (System) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK custom loop + Alphacool GPU Block - Case: CoolerMaster H500 - Fans: Noctua NF-F12 chromax - AMP/DAC: Asus Xonar Essence STX II - Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitors: 2x LG 27GN850-B HDR-Gaming-TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Mouse: Logitech G Pro wireless + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 600 Ohm - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

 

Temperatures: (Furmark CPU-Burner and GPU-Burner running at the same time. Measured after water temperature hits equilibrium.)

CPU: 70°C

GPU: 52°C

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stahlmann said:

Yeah i already have a 3080 and didn't bother to wait for AMD because i don't expect them to meet a lot of features of the RTX GPUs. Maybe performance will be competitive, but they still have a long way to go to match NVIDIA in terms of the overall package you get with your GPU. There are just so many nice bonuses you get with the RTX cards...

Exactly, would've gotten myself a 3080 long time ago but NVIDIA doesn't sell the FE cards in Sweden and that's the only card that'll fit my chassi

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buttefly said:

Exactly, would've gotten myself a 3080 long time ago but NVIDIA doesn't sell the FE cards in Sweden and that's the only card that'll fit my chassi

What is the problem? Height or length?

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List          How to choose a Monitor          My Samsung Odyssey G7 Review

 

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @4.7GHz all-core OC (1.3125V) - Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V1 - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X @2.1GHz Core / 10GHz VRAM - RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix @3600Mhz cl14 (1.45V) - PSU: Corsair RMx 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (System) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK custom loop + Alphacool GPU Block - Case: CoolerMaster H500 - Fans: Noctua NF-F12 chromax - AMP/DAC: Asus Xonar Essence STX II - Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitors: 2x LG 27GN850-B HDR-Gaming-TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Mouse: Logitech G Pro wireless + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 600 Ohm - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

 

Temperatures: (Furmark CPU-Burner and GPU-Burner running at the same time. Measured after water temperature hits equilibrium.)

CPU: 70°C

GPU: 52°C

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

What is the problem? Height or length?

290mm max length, 2 slot

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Buttefly said:

290mm max length, 2 slot

All EVGA XC3 variants fit into these dimensions:

 

EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Gaming

EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Black Gaming

EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List          How to choose a Monitor          My Samsung Odyssey G7 Review

 

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @4.7GHz all-core OC (1.3125V) - Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V1 - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X @2.1GHz Core / 10GHz VRAM - RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix @3600Mhz cl14 (1.45V) - PSU: Corsair RMx 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (System) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK custom loop + Alphacool GPU Block - Case: CoolerMaster H500 - Fans: Noctua NF-F12 chromax - AMP/DAC: Asus Xonar Essence STX II - Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitors: 2x LG 27GN850-B HDR-Gaming-TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Mouse: Logitech G Pro wireless + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 600 Ohm - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

 

Temperatures: (Furmark CPU-Burner and GPU-Burner running at the same time. Measured after water temperature hits equilibrium.)

CPU: 70°C

GPU: 52°C

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

All EVGA XC3 variants fit into these dimensions:

 

EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Gaming

EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Black Gaming

EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming

Holy shit, had no idea! Asked around with no luck. Thanks!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

AMD has had a media encoder/decoder since a long time ago, called VCN now. The quality is okaish, but not on par with NVENC, we'll see if they'll catch up on this next gen.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Afaik AMD doesn't currently have anything equivalent to DLSS 2.0 or NVENC.

 

47 minutes ago, igormp said:

AMD has had a media encoder/decoder since a long time ago, called VCN now. The quality is okaish, but not on par with NVENC, we'll see if they'll catch up on this next gen.

The modern version of VCN in the 5700XT is on-par with Turing's NVENC in both performance and visual fidelity. The RX 6000 series' VCN is supposed to be at least on par with the Ampere GPUs NVENC. (both adding support for AV1 decoding in hardware)

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-36 MoboASRock X570M Pro4

Graphics Card: ASRock Reference RX 5700 XT Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM

Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, dual Constellation ES 2GB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

 

The modern version of VCN in the 5700XT is on-par with Turing's NVENC in both performance and visual fidelity. The RX 6000 series' VCN is supposed to be at least on par with the Ampere GPUs NVENC. (both adding support for AV1 decoding in hardware)

It is not. Their encoder fares way worse than the current NVENC, and is just marginally better than Polaris' one. Their software stack is also a mess and they don't seen to care, ffmpeg still has no support whatsoever for VCN on linux.

See for yourself.

 

Ampere's encoder is the same of the one found in turing, the decoder just got some minimal updates to support AV1.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, igormp said:

Their software stack is also a mess and they don't seen to care, ffmpeg still has no support whatsoever for VCN on linux.

Software support is bad, but that does not have any effect on the hardware capability.

2 hours ago, igormp said:

Anything above extremely low bitrate, (which is not used in the real world anyways) they are perceptually the same. Pixel perfection is not required for identical visual perception results.

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-36 MoboASRock X570M Pro4

Graphics Card: ASRock Reference RX 5700 XT Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM

Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, dual Constellation ES 2GB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Software support is bad, but that does not have any effect on the hardware capability.

Anything above extremely low bitrate, (which is not used in the real world anyways) they are perceptually the same. Pixel perfection is not required for identical visual perception results.

Even at 5~10mbps (which is widely used for streaming) AMD's quality is WAY worse. If you can't notice it, well, good for you I guess.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, igormp said:

Even at 5~10mbps (which is widely used for streaming) AMD's quality is WAY worse. If you can't notice it, well, good for you I guess.

The video happened shortly before a driver patch that fixed the problems with the VCN encoding system that resulted in the lower visual fidelity shown in the video. If you can STILL see the difference after the patch, you are nowhere near human perception norms.

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-36 MoboASRock X570M Pro4

Graphics Card: ASRock Reference RX 5700 XT Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM

Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, dual Constellation ES 2GB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

The video happened shortly before a driver patch that fixed the problems with the VCN encoding system that resulted in the lower visual fidelity shown in the video. If you can STILL see the difference after the patch, you are nowhere near human perception norms.

It's still bad. Even NVENC using h264 is better than VCE using h265 with higher bitrates. Heck, even Intel's QuickSync beats VCN most of the time. 

 

 

If you tell me that you can't notice the difference in most scenarios, then your eyes must be really bad.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, igormp said:

It's still bad. Even NVENC using h264 is better than VCE using h265 with higher bitrates. Heck, even Intel's QuickSync beats VCN most of the time. 

 

 

If you tell me that you can't notice the difference in most scenarios, then your eyes must be really bad.

Even in that video, he specifies that that it only applicable at lower bitrates. x265 on either platform is equivalent, unless you're looking for a couple pixels that are a slightly different color. 99% of his "AMD is in a bad state" was caused by a lack of support in software at the settings that he uses.

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-36 MoboASRock X570M Pro4

Graphics Card: ASRock Reference RX 5700 XT Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM

Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, dual Constellation ES 2GB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×