New AMD Build

Budget (including currency): n/a

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games, some Video Editing, general usage

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Its been almost 8 years since I've made my last build and its time for a new one, but what a time! I've been an AMD fan-boy for a long time, which you can see from my current PC, here. My biggest achievement with it, i was able to get AMD memory delivered from the States, which wasn't available in Europe shortly after it was available on the market..

Long Story Short, I've got a project, a what of goggling, reviews, etc and almost made my mind... but then decide to wait a bit more to see what's to be presented, and of course black Friday, for the final bit of shopping.

I've already got:

- NZXT H510i case(new)

- slightly used overkill of PSU Cooler Master V1200 Platinum, which I've used for a few months of mining and saved for the next build.

- RAM: 2x 2x8GB G.Skill 16GTZRX  PC3600 CL18(new)

- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2(new)

- Samsung 850 PRO 512GB (from the old rig)

- Seagate 2TB (from the old rig)

- Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ SE (from the old rig)

Here comes the wondering.. I've been looking to get the following but also currently considering the ones on the right:

MB - ASUS ROG Strix B550-E <-> ASUS ROG Strix B550-XE - value/price depending

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3800x <-> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x / Ryzen 5 3600X - value/price depending

Cooler - NZXT Kraken X63 280mm - like the view, generally seems fine

Also planning to upgrade the video, probably later(depends on availability) with either Rog Strix 3070, or something decent from Radeon if they come up with sth relevant. And of course a proper monitor, looking at LG 27GL850-B.

Happy to hear comments on the remaining bit - MB / CPU / Cooler / Video / Monitor, where of course, we can't really tell for the components that are to be released yet.

I'm looking to complete my shopping for MB, CPU and cooler by Black Friday at last. Video and monitor can't wait, but I wouldn't really wait more for the core bit.

Personally I wouldnt get an AIO just due to the longevity of them compared to an air cooler.

Otherwise you're on the right track. 3800x doesn't really have a place though. Either get a 3700x or 3900x - or go for zen 3, wait and check out performance/$ when it arrives

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 hours ago, Slottr said:

Personally I wouldnt get an AIO just due to the longevity of them compared to an air cooler.

Otherwise you're on the right track. 3800x doesn't really have a place though. Either get a 3700x or 3900x - or go for zen 3, wait and check out performance/$ when it arrives

You can find 3700x and 3800x nowadays on almost identical prices, hence thought to jump to 3800x, otherwise it doesn't make much sense really. I'm really happy with the V8 fan on my previous rig, although changed its fan with Noctua a few years ago. What would you recommend for this one?