Migrating OS help

Veleos

So I'm building my girlfriend a new PC, since hers is about 5 years old at this point (GTX 1080 and i7-6700). she has a SSD that is suitable for holding media, like pictures and whatnot, but it also contains her OS. I want to move her OS to a new 250 gb NVME, but I don't want to touch any of her games that are currently installed. How would I go about doing this? thank you in advance.

Use Macrium Reflect - create bootable usb using that program (it's called Rescue USB), so you will be able to clone/image her current system while is not in use (it will work even if it's in use, but I prefer to do it that way for extra security).

After clone boot new drive on new computer - but just new drive, with all other drives disconnected.

When system adjust itself after first boot - you can connect rest of drives.

You can boot that bootable Macrium Reflrect rescue USB on new computer and clone old system to new drive using new computer. It will be easier that way (new m.2 drive will be already mounted in new computer).

Separate problem is Windows activation. Before you change motherboard (and everything else), link your local account (using old drive and old computer) to Microsoft Account.

No fresh install (or reinstall) Windows is required (you can read my other post about that).

12 minutes ago, Veleos said:

So I'm building my girlfriend a new PC, since hers is about 5 years old at this point (GTX 1080 and i7-6700). she has a SSD that is suitable for holding media, like pictures and whatnot, but it also contains her OS. I want to move her OS to a new 250 gb NVME, but I don't want to touch any of her games that are currently installed. How would I go about doing this? thank you in advance.

You can do it by installing AOMEI Partition Assistant(its a very good piece of software i use it myself)

Have you considered a fresh install? Either way you should be backing up the important files, should something go wrong.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Have you considered a fresh install? Either way you should be backing up the important files, should something go wrong.

Clone itself is a backup so creating third one is not necessary.

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv