Does my laptop suppport 144Hz?

a3aan

Hi LTT forum,

I have a Dell Inspiron 7559, a laptop that Linus ones described as “decent”, I’m planning to buy a new external monitor for it and I was wondering whether it makes sense to buy a 1080p 144hz monitor?  

Does anyone know whether this laptop can support such high frequencies? And will it make a noticeable difference or am I better off buying a cheaper 60hz display?

The laptop has a GeForce GTX 960M GPU and I believe it has a HDMI 1.4a port.

Thanks for the response,

Adriaan

3 hours ago, a3aan said:

Hi LTT forum,

I have a Dell Inspiron 7559, a laptop that Linus ones described as “decent”, I’m planning to buy a new external monitor for it and I was wondering whether it makes sense to buy a 1080p 144hz monitor?  

Does anyone know whether this laptop can support such high frequencies? And will it make a noticeable difference or am I better off buying a cheaper 60hz display?

The laptop has a GeForce GTX 960M GPU and I believe it has a HDMI 1.4a port.

Thanks for the response,

Adriaan

when your at the desktop right click somewhere, press display setting, scroll al the way down and click advenced display settings, and click something with properties (IDK how theyll call it in english) go to display or monitor there and see if you have a 144 hertz option

34 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

when your at the desktop right click somewhere, press display setting, scroll al the way down and click advenced display settings, and click something with properties (IDK how theyll call it in english) go to display or monitor there and see if you have a 144 hertz option

Thanks for the response, the list doesn’t go beyond 60hz sadly…

However the window does show the ‘Intel HD graphics 530’ as the display adapter. Is it possible to change this to the secondary GeForce GPU? And would that help?

2 minutes ago, a3aan said:

Thanks for the response, the list doesn’t go beyond 60hz sadly…

However the window does show the ‘Intel HD graphics 530’ as the display adapter. Is it possible to change this to the secondary GeForce GPU? And would that help?

it doesnt matter, if the screen can run at 144 hertz then it can run at 144 hertz

58 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It only lists the modes supported by your display, so it won't show up until you actually get the 144 Hz monitor.

Check, got it.

But does this laptop support 144Hz?

So for I’ve received three different answers😅