Help CPU overheating

littlelegsone

Help my CPU is overheating. i have just moved my PC to my girlfriends house and its now overheating. I have cleared CMOS and as im typing this the cpu is at 70oc i have a corsair H110iGT.

I have tried manuvering the pc to dislodge a potential air lock? and ramp the pump up and down ,which i can hear running, to do the same but temps are still way to high and i can no longer run the asus overclock due to overheat crashes. 

What else can i check or do to resolve this 

• CPU i7 4790k 4589.16MHz, Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1, RAM Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 3977.3 MHz, GPU Nvidia 3080, Case Corsair 750d, Storage Samsung 850 pro 512gb, WD black 2tb, PSU Corsair HX1000i, Cooling Corsair H110i, Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB, Mouse Logitech G502 RGB, Monitor S2721DGFA, Sound Bose surround system, Operating system Windows 10

It’s possible the Water cooler could’ve come loose in transport.  It might be worth taking the cooler off and re-apply thermal paste then re-mounting it.

Just worth a try, as I’ve seen similar things happen to a few PC’s where the mounting of the cooler has come loose

maybe there is something wrong with your pump or you need to change the thermal paste

its possible that undervolting helps too

2 minutes ago, G3R489 said:

It’s possible the Water cooler could’ve come loose in transport.  It might be worth taking the cooler off and re-apply thermal paste then re-mounting it.

Just worth a try, as I’ve seen similar things happen to a few PC’s where the mounting of the cooler has come loose

i will give that a go but i have checked the mount and its still solid with no wiggle. is it possible that gunk has built up in the rad over the time ive had it and traveling with it has dislodged it causing a blockage in the pump or block?

• CPU i7 4790k 4589.16MHz, Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1, RAM Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 3977.3 MHz, GPU Nvidia 3080, Case Corsair 750d, Storage Samsung 850 pro 512gb, WD black 2tb, PSU Corsair HX1000i, Cooling Corsair H110i, Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB, Mouse Logitech G502 RGB, Monitor S2721DGFA, Sound Bose surround system, Operating system Windows 10

Just now, littlelegsone said:

i will give that a go but i have checked the mount and its still solid with no wiggle. is it possible that gunk has built up in the rad over the time ive had it and traveling with it has dislodged it causing a blockage in the pump or block?

yes

it is absolutely possible

5 minutes ago, littlelegsone said:

That could be a possibility, I personally don’t know enough about it to know if that could be the problem.   But in the passed when I’ve had this problem, it’s usually the thermal paste when it gets old and then gets moved about allot, even with decently solid mounts, can cause issues there.

However flushing the system could help, though it’s quite a bit of effort, so I would try this first as it’s quite easy.

thanks ive got some thermal paste on order now so will give that a try 

10 minutes ago, littlelegsone said:

thanks ive got some thermal paste on order now so will give that a try 

Good luck, and I really hope that helps sort it out.  Keep me updated on if this works or not. 👍

On 10/19/2020 at 3:29 PM, G3R489 said:

Good luck, and I really hope that helps sort it out.  Keep me updated on if this works or not. 👍

Unfortunately that didn’t resolve the issue so I have ordered a hyper 212 evo to ensure the issue lies with the cooler and not with another part of the system 

3 hours ago, littlelegsone said:

Unfortunately that didn’t resolve the issue so I have ordered a hyper 212 evo to ensure the issue lies with the cooler and not with another part of the system 

I’m sorry, I really hoped that would work. I really hoped that would be the issue though as it’s the cheapest and easiest thing.

Its just Aio’s are a bit of nightmare with refilling in my experience. Also check if your warranty is still valid with Corsair! As if so, they might send you out a new one or something.

However I’ve just watched someone do a tear down of a H100i (I know not your model, but close) where the pump was jammed like you originally thought. That could fix it, but I personally would be nervous about putting something like that back into my system as if it leaks it’s game over. And it seems like the copper plate is held in by screws, so that could easily go wrong.

On 10/21/2020 at 11:27 PM, G3R489 said:

I’m sorry, I really hoped that would work. I really hoped that would be the issue though as it’s the cheapest and easiest thing.

Its just Aio’s are a bit of nightmare with refilling in my experience. Also check if your warranty is still valid with Corsair! As if so, they might send you out a new one or something.

However I’ve just watched someone do a tear down of a H100i (I know not your model, but close) where the pump was jammed like you originally thought. That could fix it, but I personally would be nervous about putting something like that back into my system as if it leaks it’s game over. And it seems like the copper plate is held in by screws, so that could easily go wrong.

The air cooler has resolved my issue thankfully. I have contacted Corsair as the cooler was only a month out of warranty to see if they would still do anything but unfortunately they won’t. 

so looks like I’m staying with the air cooler which to be fair for £30 is still running my original OC so can’t complain really, if anything it’s probably steered me away from aio’s in the future I’ll just put a bit more money into an air cooler for the reliability 

8 hours ago, littlelegsone said:

The air cooler has resolved my issue thankfully. I have contacted Corsair as the cooler was only a month out of warranty to see if they would still do anything but unfortunately they won’t. 

so looks like I’m staying with the air cooler which to be fair for £30 is still running my original OC so can’t complain really, if anything it’s probably steered me away from aio’s in the future I’ll just put a bit more money into an air cooler for the reliability 

Pleased that the 212 evo is doing you well.

Thats annoying they wouldn’t cover your warranty, but it was technically out so I guess they have that.

And yeah, I would agree, plus my 212 evo build runs like a charm too, so I’ll agree to that.