$1000 PC

Danicos
53 minutes ago, Danicos said:

My friend's budget is about $1000. We live in the US. His PC will be used for gaming, editing, recording, and streaming. He plans to buy soon and we already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PZy9W3

There are huge enough nearby enough upcoming changes that the definition of soon matters.  Holding out till multiple new GPUs are released is one, holding out until console hardware is known is another.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

59 minutes ago, Danicos said:

His PC will be used for gaming, editing, recording, and streaming.

An excellent first draft.

Step down to the 3600 and save the $40 for a performance hit you won't notice.

A small SSD for a boot drive is the right strategy, but it really should be an NVME. That performance boost will be noticed.

Spend the $9 to double the capacity of your home/working drive.

Don't wish to speak disparagingly of any particular company, but get another PSU.

I also changed the memory to something $4 cheaper with slightly tighter timings. Not that anyone will notice.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There are huge enough nearby enough upcoming changes

Which may or may not effect pricing of major components. It really is worth waiting to see.

11 minutes ago, stanfiveohtwo said:

An excellent first draft.

Step down to the 3600 and save the $40 for a performance hit you won't notice.

A small SSD for a boot drive is the right strategy, but it really should be an NVME. That performance boost will be noticed.

Spend the $9 to double the capacity of your home/working drive.

Don't wish to speak disparagingly of any particular company, but get another PSU.

I also changed the memory to something $4 cheaper with slightly tighter timings. Not that anyone will notice.

Which may or may not effect pricing of major components. It really is worth waiting to see.

I lack surety to be able to make assumptions about upcoming needs.  Motherboard is hefty enough to take a bigger cpu if needed.  I worry for one that current nvme may be high priced and low speed for what will be needed.  My move would be a single large SATA SSD and no HDD as it won’t affect current game loads much, and if an nvme turns out to be needed later at least there would be room.  Could go into the nvme 3.0 rather than the nvme 4.0 slot I guess.  Might make things a tad messy later.  If it turns out fast 4.0 nvme is needed I suppose the nvme SSD could be turned into cache for the HDD with primocache or whatever will be available then.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There are huge enough nearby enough upcoming changes that the definition of soon matters.  Holding out till multiple new GPUs are released is one, holding out until console hardware is known is another.

My friend will probably buy it by the end of this year.

6 minutes ago, Danicos said:

My friend will probably buy it by the end of this year.

“By the end of the year” let’s out rocketlake desktop iirc.  My memory is that was Q1 2021. So are several Nvidia restocks though.
there a bunch of major announcements slated for November.  There are dates but I don’t remember them:

zen3

nvidia 3070

AMD RDNA2 

ps5

XboxX

All of them promise to be somewhat shattering to PCs in either requirements for future gaming or prices or both.