Hey this is my first post here and I'm looking for someone who has a little bit more experience than myself. 

We set up an old computer as a NAS and Media Server our config:

Intel core i7 860 clocked at 2.80GHz

Asrock P55 Extreme motherboard

8GB Ram

we're currently running Ubuntu as the boot/host os and using qemu-kvm as the hypervisor for running FreeNAS and a Windows 10 vm - the Windows 10 vm is for running itunes because that's what we always use and we don't want to switch to plex given we use apple TVs and other apple devices etc.

We are currently looking to upgrade this setup because let's be honest it's very dated. We would go to a 6 core hyperthreaded intel CPU and 16GB of ram and we would be able to use the VT-x capabilities on the new CPU. What we would like to know is if we could ditch our current router and buy an intel ethernet card with like 4 RJ45 jacks on it and run pfsence in another vm on this same computer safely. We know it could be done we just would like to know if there would be any additional security risks of running it in this configuration vs a completely separate pfsence box to use as a router.

Thanks so much to anyone who replies to this!

yup that will work fine, and there wont be any major security issues. Thats what I do and haven't had any issues.

Also amd chips will work fine here, they have a eqv for vt-x on every modern amd cpu

also look at proxmox for a easy to use kvm hypervisor.