Anyone got any advice/info on fixing/replacing an LED light in a Steelseries Apex Pro keyboard?

TheMadmanAndre

What the title says. Basically, one of the LEDs on my Apex Pro has partially failed. Specifically, the Blue component of the LED, resulting in the key only turning combos of red and green. I tried reaching out to SteelSeries for info, but they only do warranty like-for-like returns. Basically what I'm asking is, does anyone sell the replacement LED lights, and if there are any guides or instructions on how to fix/replace said LED light? Linus's review of the keyboard is what convinced me to buy it, funnily enough. Hence why I'm reaching out here.

Hey bud,

So here is a guide on how to take that keyboard apart to get to the led strip. You have to replace the entire LED strip as its part of a custom bar, but if you can find the part on ebay or a busted keyboard and harvest that led, then this is how you could replace it.

(https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/SteelSeries+Apex+64145+LED+Replacement/85424)

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Hey there. I looked at that guide, and unfortunately I am completely certain that it doesn't apply at all to the Apex Pro. The keys on the Apex are all individually backlit, while that one has two LED backlights for the whole keyboard.

AFAICT, the Apex Pro has two different types of switch: One is a standard mechanical switch (For the F row/numpad/arrows/etc) while the main QWERTY board switches are a special flavor of Omnipoint switch that are magnetically actuated, and both have built-in LEDs. The LED failure is in the latter type. And honestly, short of buying a whole other board and parting out this one for its switches, I'm not sure where to find replacements.

10 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Propably SMD RGB LEDs. Open it up. Measure it. Order a replacement LED and hope it is simliar enough.

Well, this is what the key in question looks like:
https://i.redd.it/xehotlizjv341.jpg

From what I can tell, the LED and key look and feel separate but slot together in the same socket. I've also never seen an LED shaped quite like that one, at least not for a keyboard.

5 hours ago, James Evens said:

Could either be a light guide but more likely it is a SMD LED. I have seen such RGB leds previously. 

Do you recommend any multicolor LEDs that look like they would fit then, or might be compatible with the APex Pro?

• 1 year later...

hey man I too have the steel series Apex Pro keyboard and mine is having the exact same issue the Blue in some of the keys has given out and now they can only display red and green or a combination of the two absolutely no blue but I dont think there is really a solution for it so i just found the keys that were doing it and turned them off so they didn't ruin my color shift.

• 10 months later...