GPU Handle 1440p / 144hz Monitor

RewnHazel

Hey

I built my PC a couple months ago and I've been using my TV because money was short. Now I'm looking for a monitor and would love to get 1440p / 144hz, but I keep seeing mixed reviews on if my RTX 2060 super can handle it. I have a Ryzen 3700, if that matters at all.

I play mostly MMOs and RPGs. Nothing competitive. It is really just about having that beautiful picture look the best it possible can.

At this time, I have no intention of upgrading my GPU since I just built this computer in August.

Thanks -  I'm still pretty new to all this and the amount of info that is out there is just staggering.

9 minutes ago, RewnHazel said:

Hey

I built my PC a couple months ago and I've been using my TV because money was short. Now I'm looking for a monitor and would love to get 1440p / 144hz, but I keep seeing mixed reviews on if my RTX 2060 super can handle it. I have a Ryzen 3700, if that matters at all.

I play mostly MMOs and RPGs. Nothing competitive. It is really just about having that beautiful picture look the best it possible can.

At this time, I have no intention of upgrading my GPU since I just built this computer in August.

Thanks -  I'm still pretty new to all this and the amount of info that is out there is just staggering.

I am currently using a 1440p 165 Hz monitor with a temporary GTX 1660 Ti, and I must say, it's OK to play games on it. WoW Classic can run at 165 fps steady at maxed graphics and so does Guild Wars 2. Flight Simulator 2020 can do medium graphics at 40-50 fps in 1440p which is just fine for me. I ordered an RTX 3080 which still hasn't arrived, but so far the 1660 Ti is performing rather well at 1440p. The RTX 2060 Super will obviously perform a little better, and with settings turned down a bit, can drive 100 fps on most (MMO)RPG titles and recent AAA games.

6 minutes ago, RewnHazel said:

Hey

hi my friend

yes you can expect it to run most of your favorite title at your expected resolution 

but you shouldn't expect all of them to run at your expected refresh rate

but you can run most of them at 100 fps or even a lot more depend on the setting you applied

I have a GTX 1080 a similarly performing card and I find that I can get 144hz in most games with some tinkering of the settings. Of course games like Counter Strike and Valorant (esports titles) I have no issues. In terms of AAA titles such as the witcher 3 I find as long as it doesn't dip below 90fps I'm happy. As you say you play MMOs and RPGs where perhaps it's not as important to have consistently 144fps+ you should have no issues. If you're absolutely set on having 144fps+ @in modern AAA titles for example Cyberpunk then you probably will need an upgrade

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues