computer says my fan is running at X speed, but its either 0 or 100%

Cyneptic

I have a 980ti and everything was fine about 2 hours ago, I went in game, turned on afterburner as usual.

and i noticed when I closed the game the noise was still there I check and 

1. one of the fans wasn't moving I touched it with an object very lightly and it started moving but very slowly and constantly stopping 

2. the other fan is running at 100% all the time

3. computer shows the fans at proper speed. both afterburner and hwinfo show gpu fan speed at the speed that afterburner sets it, but in reality one is very very VERY slow and constantly stopping, the other is at 100% 

4. if I set afterburner to automatically put it at 0. they stop. but if I set the speed at 25 (minimum) it goes to 100% on one and the same slow and stop on the other one

I have reinstalled afterburner, didn't work.

If you boot into bios or safe mode do the fans still act up or do they work in unison/ as expected while in bios/safe mode?

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

Just now, narrdarr said:

Sounds like the fan(s) is failing. 

I tend to agree, if it does the same thing in Bios, i would reseat the GPU, and likely the CPU/Memory also. If it still happens, look into fan hardware level tsing or replace the card.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

59 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

I tend to agree, if it does the same thing in Bios, i would reseat the GPU, and likely the CPU/Memory also. If it still happens, look into fan hardware level tsing or replace the card.

I doubt that's going to do anything for the op. What 980 ti do you have op?

8 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Msi 980ti Twin Frozr

I did a gpuz and benchmark, here's the result image.thumb.png.0599bb9316ed27035e2a8349eb850efd.png

shows 90% fan speed but 0 rpm

at peak it shows 1300 RPM...

on the benchmark I went as high as 89 temp

then closed my case (Which has an intake side fan)

and got stuck around 85-86

14 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

If one spins at 100% and one doesn't spin while in the system in bios, you have eliminated all software.

Not sure how that is not a valid tsing step?

And reseating everything in the hardware loop that could affect this, is a valid step. 

Cool if you dont think so, but i do.

Family machines

3 hours ago, Cyneptic said:

Msi 980ti Twin Frozr

I did a gpuz and benchmark, here's the result image.thumb.png.0599bb9316ed27035e2a8349eb850efd.png

shows 90% fan speed but 0 rpm

at peak it shows 1300 RPM...

on the benchmark I went as high as 89 temp

then closed my case (Which has an intake side fan)

and got stuck around 85-86

Yeah looks like the fan is dead.

I wouldn't source a fan either. Most will will have been pulled from used cards and may have it own is issues or die soon. I also wouldn't buy an after market gpu cooler either is just not worth the cost.

What i would is order 2 120mm fans.( Arctic p12 pwm) and a CRJ 4-Pin PWM GPU Dual Fan Splitter Adapter Cable. 

Remove the shroud and fans from the heatsink and zip tie the fans to the heat sink.

Tbh the mod will cool better and quieter then before.

Or if you've been needing a reason to upgrade to a newer card you have one.

I think I know what's going on. at some point your fan died, either because the rotor gunked up or the stator lost one of its connections. Now that the fan isn't spinning, it's not generating the back emf that the card is tuned for. As a result, the current is surging way higher than it should and causing your fans to either stay off or pin at 100%. You'll need to either do one of those ghetto mods where you put a cpu cooler on a gpu, get an NZXT kraken to do some quick water cooling, or get a new card. 

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

8 hours ago, nightmarevoid said:

I think I know what's going on. at some point your fan died, either because the rotor gunked up or the stator lost one of its connections. Now that the fan isn't spinning, it's not generating the back emf that the card is tuned for. As a result, the current is surging way higher than it should and causing your fans to either stay off or pin at 100%. You'll need to either do one of those ghetto mods where you put a cpu cooler on a gpu, get an NZXT kraken to do some quick water cooling, or get a new card. 

Thank you.