Tips and recommendations for first time credit card applicant?

Lachrymal

We're trying to build credit up from a small loan I owe and just a fairly bad history of collections in our past. I've never ever desired to have a credit card, and now that it's necessary  to own one I dunno where to start. Maybe low interest and APR......I don't want a huge credit limit. Just something to use and pay off little to build from. We rarely shop anywhere but Walmart and our local grocer chain. Would either of those be smart? 

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

Find a comparison website. Apply there

Most of the time they will tell you what they are prepared to give you as credit.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

get a debit card instead?

If not. Get something with really low interest... otherwise you'll just be stuck paying the interest every month

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Don't get a credit card.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Don't expect low interest if it's your first credit card.  Find one that has perks that suit your needs.  Look into the Discover IT card or Banf of America Rewards card.  They offer cash back or give you 2-3% back if you buy things on line at times.  

As for a tip?  Spell your name correctly?

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Find a comparison website. Apply there

Most of the time they will tell you what they are prepared to give you as credit.

I was hoping there was something like this. I was also hoping you could link my lazy bum to one. That's ok lol.

get a debit card instead?

If not. Get something with really low interest... otherwise you'll just be stuck paying the interest every month

We have a debit card, but it does nothing for us in building credit. As far as I know you don't have to pay interest if you pay in full each month. Which at least I am good at. Not sure about the sig other.  :ph34r:

Don't get a credit card.

Brilliant! Thank you.

I wish I didn't have to.

Don't expect low interest if it's your first credit card.  Find one that has perks that suit your needs.  Look into the Discover IT card or Banf of America Rewards card.  They offer cash back or give you 2-3% back if you buy things on line at times.  

As for a tip?  Spell your name correctly?

What range in numbers is considered low interest? I will look into those. Thank you very much.

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

I was hoping there was something like this. I was also hoping you could link my lazy bum to one. That's ok lol.

We have a debit card, but it does nothing for us in building credit. As far as I know you don't have to pay interest if you pay in full each month. Which at least I am good at. Not sure about the sig other.  :ph34r:

Brilliant! Thank you.

I wish I didn't have to.

What range in numbers is considered low interest? I will look into those. Thank you very much.

You will not find low interest for years and years until you have years and years of very very good credit.  Expect your first card to come with something like 24% interest.  After a year or two you should probably be able to get around 15-16% and after a few more years 12-13%.  Read up on how to maintain good credit and keep your credit score as high as possible.

Just to give you some perspective I have a credit score of 758 and my interest on two cards is 11 and 12%.  I'm also 29 and have had a credit card since I was 17.  

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

You will not find low interest for years and years until you have years and years of very very good credit.  Expect your first card to come with something like 24% interest.  After a year or two you should probably be able to get around 15-16% and after a few more years 12-13%.  Read up on how to maintain good credit and keep your credit score as high as possible.

Just to give you some perspective I have a credit score of 758 and my interest on two cards is 11 and 12%.  I'm also 29 and have had a credit card since I was 17.  

Good to know. And whats this about variable APR? IS there such a thing as static APR?

Good to know. And whats this about variable APR? IS there such a thing as static APR?

I'm pretty sure most credit cards come with variable interest rates.  They hardly if ever fluctuate though.  I've never seen my interest rates move.