Whats Desktop.ini?

MajorFoley

So i got my MB back from RMA and finally rebuilt it. I noticed on reboot it's got a desktop.ini file? I do have show hidden files and folders but i dont ever recall seeing it and i still have that system one hidden as is recommended? So kinda confused why i have it there.

The desktop.ini file is always there, it's automatically generated by Windows.

A desktop. ini is a file that determines the way a folder is displayed by Windows. While usually hidden, these files can be found in any folder, anywhere on your computer, and they contain information and settings pertaining to that folder, like the icon used for it and its localized name.

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

The desktop.ini file is always there, it's automatically generated by Windows.

Just... im pretty sure ive never seen it before i send the MB away... Maybe because its the first time its been booted in a while?

10 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

Just... im pretty sure ive never seen it before i send the MB away... Maybe because its the first time its been booted in a while?

It's just a configuration file, you can open it and see for yourself, it assigns things like the folder icon and other config settings.

image.png.73b00c779625795cc126a38ac2714d93.png

2 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

You are probably showing hidden and/or system files.

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro

4 hours ago, A1200 said:

You are probably showing hidden and/or system files.

I second this; you certainly are showing hidden/system files. 

Untick this box in file explorer:

image.thumb.png.fe681155a90284a91706e36c56c79c7b.png

If still there, until this box:

image.thumb.png.a95e0cc83f4cbca4034aca1a6100fc16.png

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

7 hours ago, Joshua said:

I second this; you certainly are showing hidden/system files. 

Untick this box in file explorer:

image.thumb.png.fe681155a90284a91706e36c56c79c7b.png

If still there, until this box:

image.thumb.png.a95e0cc83f4cbca4034aca1a6100fc16.png

I've checked, that checkbox is ticked so no i don't think thats it... I do show hidden extensions and the other hidden files but operating system files i've never touched... Is it because Windows is preparing for a major update? I am on an old version and it was me to go to 1903. It also opens up on boot with just 3 lines with 2 dlls. something to do with shellclassinfo?

13 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

I've checked, that checkbox is ticked so no i don't think thats it... I do show hidden extensions and the other hidden files but operating system files i've never touched... Is it because Windows is preparing for a major update? I am on an old version and it was me to go to 1903. It also opens up on boot with just 3 lines with 2 dlls. something to do with shellclassinfo?

The contents of desktop.ini you have just described is typical. The file itself is nothing to worry about. 

I can confirm that having that box ticked, the "Hide protected operating system files" is what hides desktop.ini 

You're saying that "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" is ticked but you still see the file?

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

1 hour ago, Joshua said:

The contents of desktop.ini you have just described is typical. The file itself is nothing to worry about. 

I can confirm that having that box ticked, the "Hide protected operating system files" is what hides desktop.ini 

You're saying that "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" is ticked but you still see the file?

Yup. Someone on ten forums suggested using a command prompt to hide it and they usually havent steered me wrong but its interesting that it shows up now. I mean in all seriousness i probably should upgrade to at least 1903...