Freshly installed windows 10 want to move user

Damislego

Up to this point i had my windows on a hhd

I installed windows 10 on a new ssd and now have 2 seperate os's installed. I want to ask if it's possible to move my user to the ssd and if doing so would cause any issues?

No you can't.

You'll need to boot to your Windows 10 on your SSD, create your account there, and set it up as new.

What you COULD do, is transfer (manually) your stuff between accounts.

For program settings:

Programs saved their software configuration either (or both) in the registry under (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\<program or company name>\) or under C:\Users\<account name>\AppData (hidden folder)\Roaming\<Program or Company name>.

• For registry one: You can export the registry key 1 program at a time within Windows 10 on your HDD, and switch to the Windows 10 on your SSD and double click on the exported files, or import them (Make sure your programs are closed before). DO NOT expoort everything, go 1 program that you need, one at a time.

• For the files in AppData, make a folder somewhere else, call it what you want, and copy and paste your AppData\Roaming\<program> folders in there. Then switch back to Windows 10 on your SSD, and transfer them to your account under it, under its own AppData\Roaming folder. DO NOT transfer AppData\Roaming in full! Go sub folder at a time with the program you need. 

For personal files:

• Similar to the AppData folder. Copy them to a directory outside, like on the root of the drive, and switch OS, and copy them in. WARNING: Technically, you can just access these folders directly from one Windows to another. However, if you do, in order to do it, Windows will inform you that it will need to change permissions when you access your account on a different drive for the different version of Windows. Clicking on "Continue" will do such task, And from now that account will be broken on the Windows it belongs too.

In other words, if you are under Windows 10 on your HDD, and go to D:\Users\<account name> (assuming it is your SSD Windows 10 drive letter), you'll get a warning message of requiring to change permissions, with 2 option, cancel (which will do nothing), or Continue, which will change the permission so that you can access it, which in turn will break the account when you'll login to that account when you are on your SSD. Same is true for the reverse. So don't do this, unless you are sure you won't need to go back inside.

WARNING 2: If you have encrypted personal files, you'll need to decrypt them first, or you'll need to export the encryption certificate and import it to the other OS account account. If you don't have a backup of your certificate for your encypted files, and you break your account, the bye bye data. If you did not encrypt any files, then you are fine, nothing to worry about.