Grinding Noise coming from PC

SSK-99

Hi all,

I built my first PC about 1 and a half months ago, and I had to move it to a different house a couple weeks ago. Ever since then, I've noticed a really loud grinding noise coming from the pc.

It's not continuous, it only happens under load, and even then it goes away after 10-20 seconds. I'm not too worried since I haven't noticed any problems yet, but the noise can rev up quite loud, so I want to find out what it is asap.

I'm not too sure where it's coming from. I'm pretty sure it's not the case fans since they're on a set speed (low). I though it was a loose CPU fan vibrating when it speeds up, but its been tightened and the noise is still there. So, at this point I'm suspecting the GPU (Gigabyte 1660 Super).

No cables are interrupting fans from what I can see.

Does anyone know what this noise could be, how to fix it, or what I should do next to stop the problem asap?

Any help appreciated, thanks 

Here's an audio recording. The noise comes in around halfway through. Ignore the controller noises lol

Noise from PC.m4a

i have a gigabyte 1660 that makes a grinding noise at certain frequencies.

one way to test is to install msi afterburner and manually play with the gpu fan speed to see if the noise happens at a particular fan speed%.

if that happens, you can set a custom fan curve that skips that particular frequency.

The way to find out exactly where its coming from is to remove the side panel, have the PC do something strenuous then stop each fan with your finger until you find the one making the noise.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 hours ago, boggy77 said:

i have a gigabyte 1660 that makes a grinding noise at certain frequencies.

one way to test is to install msi afterburner and manually play with the gpu fan speed to see if the noise happens at a particular fan speed%.

if that happens, you can set a custom fan curve that skips that particular frequency.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

The way to find out exactly where its coming from is to remove the side panel, have the PC do something strenuous then stop each fan with your finger until you find the one making the noise.

I had a closer look and it seems like the noise is happening as the fans on the GPU keep turning on and off (think they only turn on when under a certain load). So if I'm doing something that fluctuates back and forth over the threshold load level, the fans turn off and on every 30 secs - 1 minute. 

However, is it normal for them to be making that noise when stopping or revving back up? I also noticed one of the two fans took a bit longer to stop all the way than the other, but not sure if that's a problem.

Thanks