Windows 10 Cumulative Update Problem

ahuckphin

I'm working on refurbishing quite a number of Optiplex 9020 Mini Tower. 

The very last one I'm working on has caused for quite a headache. 

It simply refuses to install Windows' Cumulative Update. Through Settings I get error 0x800700d. Standalone update also doesn't work.

I have tried reinstalling Windows 10 with a different bootable USB. Still cannot. 

I have tried swapping hard drive into a different Optiplex 9020. Say the problematic Optiplex is computer a and a known good Optiplex is computer b. Computer B has successfully installed the cumulative update. I take the hard drive out of computer b and put it into computer a. I also take hard drive out of computer a and put it into computer b. When I turn on computer a, Windows Update say no new update. When I turn on computer b, it still fails to install the cumulative update.

So then I tried installing Windows 10 onto a new drive with computer a and still cannot.

I have tried doubling the RAM to 8GB. Still cannot.

Throughout the whole time, after installing Windows fresh, the first time I restart, "Preparing to configure Windows Don't turn off your computer" would be like stuck. 

I should also mention that both 2020-09 and 2020-10 cumulative update has the same problem. 

Can this seriously be a case of it's just not meant to be?

that machine is nearing a decade old and if you are planing to run it at what i assume is only 4gb of ram then I would most definitely say its not to be. if the machine run windows 10 without the unneeded update then run it like that

1 hour ago, emosun said:

that machine is nearing a decade old and if you are planing to run it at what i assume is only 4gb of ram then I would most definitely say its not to be. if the machine run windows 10 without the unneeded update then run it like that

well the processor is an i3-4130 which is 7 years old. 

keep in mind that: 

1 hour ago, bindydad123 said:

I'm working on refurbishing quite a number of Optiplex 9020 Mini Tower. 

I have successfully installed and updated Windows 10 on at least another 25 Optiplex 9020 MT with identical specification. 

5 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

well the processor is an i3-4130 which is 7 years old. 

keep in mind that: 

well that may be but both the cpu's in my machine are also newer than the board... so keep that in mind as well.

5 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

I have successfully installed and updated Windows 10 on at least another 25 Optiplex 9020 MT with identical specification. 

Look I wont be able to 100% relate to whatever situation you may be in that requires trying to recycle such old machines for modern day use. All I can say it if you only have roughly a 4% loss on your success rate with this conversion , then that's not too bad. one out of 26 being somewhat wonky with the software isn't too big a deal and not every computer on earth is perfect.

only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to make sure the board has its latest bios update , also also to check and see if the part numbers on that motherboard are the same as the other 25. Theres a chance this one machine could be different in one way or another that prevents it from working as well as the others.

I don't know, honestly.

However, what I can say, is that its not the age of the computer.

I have Windows 10 running on 3x different Core 2 Duo systems, and the 32-bit version of Windows 10 on my AMD Athlon X2 4400+ Socket 939 with 3GB of DRR1 RAM.

Problem resolved. 

16 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

Say the problematic Optiplex is computer a and a known good Optiplex is computer b. Computer B has successfully installed the cumulative update

So what I did was take the hard drive out of computer b and put it into computer a. 

Then with computer b, I installed the hard drive from computer a but performed a clean installation of Windows 10. 

Now both computers can be updated and has been updated. 

I should add that when I finished computer b, 2020-10 cumulative update was not available yet but at the time of trying to resolve this problem, it is available. When I booted up computer a with computer's b hard drive and it told me updates were available, I was very concerned. 

I only thought of this solution as I wrote this topic. 

16 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

Problem resolved. 

So what I did was take the hard drive out of computer b and put it into computer a. 

Then with computer b, I installed the hard drive from computer a but performed a clean installation of Windows 10. 

Now both computers can be updated and has been updated. 

I should add that when I finished computer b, 2020-10 cumulative update was not available yet but at the time of trying to resolve this problem, it is available. When I booted up computer a with computer's b hard drive and it told me updates were available, I was very concerned. 

I only thought of this solution as I wrote this topic. 

For future reference, error 0x800700d can almost always be fixed by booting to installation media and running sfc /scannow on the problematic installation.

That error usually means one of the system files relied upon for upgrade is corrupt. I can assure you sfc /scannow will resolve as I run all the updates at my workplace!

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

8 hours ago, Joshua said:

For future reference, error 0x800700d can almost always be fixed by booting to installation media and running sfc /scannow on the problematic installation.

That error usually means one of the system files relied upon for upgrade is corrupt. I can assure you sfc /scannow will resolve as I run all the updates at my workplace!

Thanks for the tip. Will save much time hopefully.