Do I need a new psu?

superfantastic

I recently upgraded my cpu which has a powerdraw of 165W, 50 higher than my old one. My 550W power supply still does the trick currently though. However, I want to upgrade my videocard next. From a 1070 to a 3070. Should I get a new psu now? I'm honestly not even sure how much my current build needs in total, as I can't really find that info anywhere. Here are my current components:

- MSI X299 SLI PLUS
- Intel Core i7 9800x
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
- Corsair Vengeance 16GB(2133Mhz)
- NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
- Samsung 960 EVO 250gb (M.2)
- 2000GB HDD
- Corsair CX550M voeding (550Watt)

So do I need a new psu if I upgrade to a 3070?

No one knows how much 3070 will draw. Wait until 29th this month.

Voeding? Fellow country man?

1 minute ago, Deli said:

No one knows how much 3070 will draw. Wait until 29th this month.

on the nvidia website it says 220W and a recommended psu of 650W. However I just used a calculator on outervision.com which seems to suggest even my 550W might still be enough, though I am not 100% sure I filled that in correctly. You think I should just go for a 650W?

9 minutes ago, superfantastic said:

on the nvidia website it says 220W and a recommended psu of 650W. However I just used a calculator on outervision.com which seems to suggest even my 550W might still be enough, though I am not 100% sure I filled that in correctly. You think I should just go for a 650W?

3080 and 3090 appear to have very high transient power draw. Which means a lot of short peak power consumption way higher than average. So. it's just not only the wattage of the PSU, but how well it can handle short power spikes.

We need to wait for reviews to see if that's the case for 3070 as well.

I have a 5700XT. Which AMD recommends a 600w PSU. However I use a Corsair SF450 with zero problem. So, wattage alone isn't enough to tell the whole story.

11 minutes ago, Deli said:

3080 and 3090 appear to have very high transient power draw. Which means a lot of short peak power consumption way higher than average. So. it's just not only the wattage of the PSU, but how well it can handle short power spikes.

We need to wait for reviews to see if that's the case for 3070 as well.

I have a 5700XT. Which AMD recommends a 600w PSU. However I use a Corsair SF450 with zero problem. So, wattage alone isn't enough to tell the whole story.

Ah, I see. Didn't think of that. I thought the wattage meant the maximum power draw at full load.

6 hours ago, superfantastic said:

Ah, I see. Didn't think of that. I thought the wattage meant the maximum power draw at full load.

yeah, recommended i learned a while ago doesn't always mean that is what the graphics card with the full system will draw, my r9 390x wanted a 750w power supply, i just went with a good 650w power supply, EVGA g2, and have had no issues. But i don't really know too much about the 30 series at the moment to give any real advice there.