100 Percent CPU usage when gaming (warzone)

xDestry

Hey guys so my computer is a prebuilt Ibuypower BB973 with the following specs.  The only thing I upgraded was the GPU, I have this following ram which I bought on amazon on the way. (TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) CL16)

CPU: i7 9700k

MB asrock z390 phantom gaming motherboard

RAM : adata xpg gammix d10 16gb (8x2) DDR4-3000

PSU :650W 80 plus gold power supply

GPU :MSI Ventus 3080 3x OC 10GB (Upgraded)

SSD : 480 gb Adata SSD

HD : 1 TB HD

Nvidia driver and windows 10 are both up to date.

When I am playing warzone my CPU usage is almost always from 95-100 percent which is think is bottlenecking my framerate.  I am currently using a 3080 and playing in 1440p with almost all settings on low except texture which is normal.  My framerate goes anywhere from 120-160 (only high when im in closed spaces or looking at a wall).

Attached is a picture of my MSI afterburner settings, as well as the undervolted 3080 frequency curve as well as a graph of my CPU usage, framerate, gpu temp, and gpu usage during a typical warzone session.  Looking through the graph it seems like my FPS is directly inverse to my CPU usage.  I tested this both with undervolting the 3080 and having it at normal settings and the CPU seems to be almost maxed out either way.  Also attached are my nvidia control panel 3d settings.  

I have two monitors, one is a 1440p 165 HZ asus gsync monitor and the other is just a pretty standard 1080p.  When I am gaming the only programs open are warzone, discord, msi afterburner, and battlenet.  

Anyone have any idea what's causing my CPU usage to be so high?  Please let me know if you need any other info.  Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

msi afterburner.jpg

nvidia experi ence settings.png

14 minutes ago, xDestry said:

Anyone have any idea what's causing my CPU usage to be so high?

Games require the CPU for two things: For the game itself and to keep the GPU fed with data. The more FPS you have, the more CPU power is needed to keep the GPU fed.

To decrease that part of the CPU load, you have to increase the GPU load. The longer your GPU needs to work on a single frame, the less often the CPU will have to supply it with new data. So I'd try to increase resolution/details etc. The 3080 should be able to do it without any loss of framerate.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Games require the CPU for two things: For the game itself and to keep the GPU fed with data. The more FPS you have, the more CPU power is needed to keep the GPU fed.

To decrease that part of the CPU load, you have to increase the GPU load. The longer your GPU needs to work on a single frame, the less often the CPU will have to supply it with new data. So I'd try to increase resolution/details etc. The 3080 should be able to do it without any loss of framerate.

Hi thanks for your response.  I tried raising some things like texture resolution, antialiasing, shadows, ray tracing, etc, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.  I monitored my CPU temps during another session and it seems like they got pretty high, around 78-89 with highs of 92 or so, could this possibly be why?

cpu temp.png

You're just CPU bound, nothing you can do... As mentioned it gives you leeway to increase graphics settings but you're not going to get more frames.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You're just CPU bound, nothing you can do... As mentioned it gives you leeway to increase graphics settings but you're not going to get more frames.

I'd just set a 120FPS or 140FPS Cap to reduce CPU load (when above those values) and let Gsync handle the smoothness.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

@xDestry

You have an 8 thread CPU. The game is probably swallowing that up whole, so yeah, I agree with others that you are CPU bound. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Do you guys think getting a better cooler would help the cpu run better?  I can try over clocking it as well.  Its pretty bad for the cpu temp to get up to the 90s right? Thanks for everyone's replies

1 hour ago, xDestry said:

Do you guys think getting a better cooler would help the cpu run better?  I can try over clocking it as well.  Its pretty bad for the cpu temp to get up to the 90s right? Thanks for everyone's replies

Sure, it would help I guess, but I reckon that its not going to make that much of a difference since the CPU is forced to work so hard with so little to work with. Get a better CPU, and I'm sure those temps won't be as much of a concern by virtue of the CPU having more room to work with. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10