How Stupid of an Idea Would Upgrading from an RX 580 to a Blower 1070Ti Be?

PlayStation 2

I tend to make my titles very descriptive, but I do wonder: how bad of an idea would it be if I upgraded from my current 8GB RX 580 to a blower-style used GTX 1070 Ti? 

I've desired a GPU that could offer me some more grunt at 2560x1600 (predominately for Forza Horizon 4 and game emulation) and with OpenGL shit, but I just wanna know if it'd be worth the time (and potential money, around $230-270?) to jump from my 580 to a 1070 Ti. I don't need a CPU upgrade right now, so that's not a concern for this.

Anyone who's done a similar thing have any insight on going for a GPU upgrade right now? Are there better options for the $250 range?

Since I'm also making this thread, what would be the downsampling range on a 1070 Ti or so? I would like something that could do better than 3840x2400 for games like Team Fortress 2.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I don't think i'd bother with such a minor upgrade. You're barely getting any improvement from it.

$270 canadian, australian, or USD? Cause in USD it's a bad price.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

$270 canadian, australian, or USD? Cause in USD it's a bad price.

USD, although to be fair, I can find them cheaper than that on eBay. I have no qualms going for a used card, just is it a bad idea or not?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

USD, although to be fair, I can find them cheaper than that on eBay. I have no qualms going for a used card, just is it a bad idea or not?

For the price, and this close to new reveals and releases, I think it's worth waiting just a couple months. You're pretty close to 2060 money which would offer non-blower noise levels and a fairly similar gaming experience.

If you do manage to scoop a blower model close to $250 or maybe even less, I think that would be a worthwhile deal, but otherwise it's not worth the upgrading trouble, even if you've got the itch right now 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Performance would be alot more. But im no fan of blower cards.

WIth the new Generations comming, im sure you can get a better deal.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO