Am I leaving performance on the table

Bassai Dai

Hi all, I'm a bit of a data nerd and on my PC I tend to use PowerBI and Excel a fair amount.

PowerBI is a fairly large program, and takes a (while to open (at work, it's around 15 seconds, on my own computer about 4s). (At home) I have PowerBI and Excel installed on my Samsung 970 Evo NVME and the saved files stored on a mechanical HDD.

My question is, am I leaving performance on the table? my theory is that the big large program sits on the NVME, and the small saved file (normally about 30kb - 200kb).

I suppose I could keep them on the NVME too, but I like tokeep my "clutter" in one place, and that's on the HDD

both drives are 1TB, the NVME is as stated above, the HDD is a WD green label 7200 thing.

Just really interested in your thoughts?

You're saying that the small file is saved on the HDD? If so, just copy it over to the SSD and see if it feels snappier...

If Windows is on the HDD then then I'd suggest you probably are leaving a considerable amount of performance on the table, though that will mostly affect things such as the boot time of the system. I'm not sure what difference it makes to third-party applications installed on a different drive.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I don't really think so. To give you an idea of an extreme case (that I use), I keep a local installation of Anaconda and R, since those are kind of chunky (not as chunky as PowerBI). I load in project files and source code from network drives over WiFi, far slower than a mechanical hard drive, and there's no appreciable difference. While a project is open, it swaps in and out of memory, not to the actual project file. It's only when you save that the hard drive is accessed, and the save operation is pretty fast.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

34 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

I don't really think so. To give you an idea of an extreme case (that I use), I keep a local installation of Anaconda and R, since those are kind of chunky (not as chunky as PowerBI). I load in project files and source code from network drives over WiFi, far slower than a mechanical hard drive, and there's no appreciable difference. While a project is open, it swaps in and out of memory, not to the actual project file. It's only when you save that the hard drive is accessed, and the save operation is pretty fast.

Yeah my feeling is that the files are so small, that it doesnt hamper performance, and I save and load so infrequently, it doesn't really matter

35 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You're saying that the small file is saved on the HDD? If so, just copy it over to the SSD and see if it feels snappier...

If Windows is on the HDD then then I'd suggest you probably are leaving a considerable amount of performance on the table, though that will mostly affect things such as the boot time of the system. I'm not sure what difference it makes to third-party applications installed on a different drive.

Nah windows is on the NVME