Ryzen 3600 Temps on 360mm AIO

Hi! I recently switched to AMD and upon tweaking my new setup, I'm getting the following temps on my Ryzen 3600 oc to 4.375 Ghz at 1.175v on my 360mm AIO

Idle temps at 40 deg average 

Load temps at 68-73 deg average (max detected at 78)
Ambient temps at 25-28 deg

Are these normal? I was thinking that with my beefy AIO, temps could be lower. Case used is your pretty average mid tower case with 7 120 mm fans.
360 mm Rad at top with 3 fans set as intake
3 fans up front as intake
1 rear fan as exhaust.

All intake fans are set at minimum RPM with the exhaust fan set at much higher RPM to compensate for better airflow.

After removing the cpu block after about 2 weeks of use, this is what get. The middle seemed to be smooth and not making enough contact with the cpu die although the tpaste was evenly distributed (sorry no pictures).
Thanks in advanced!

120708413_676168280003542_5958621267415468458_n.jpg

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600

Asus B550 Strix-F Gaming Wifi

ID Cooling Zoomflow 360mm Snow Ed

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL18 (2x16)

Those are really low temps with a really high clock for a 3600. sounds like you got a really nice chip there.  50° and 85° are much more common numbers.

The issue is 7nm and chiplets make for serious density and thus under ihs heat transfer issues.  You could probably have a much smaller cooler and get very similar temps.  If you’re concerned with metal contact there’s always lapping. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Those are really low temps with a really high clock for a 3600. sounds like you got a really nice chip there.  50° and 85° are much more common numbers.

The issue is 7nm and chiplets make for serious density and thus under ihs heat transfer issues.  You could probably have a much smaller cooler and get very similar temps.  If you’re concerned with metal contact there’s always lapping. 

Thank you very much on your feedback. Much appreciated :D

3 hours ago, PasitimusD said:

Hi! I recently switched to AMD and upon tweaking my new setup, I'm getting the following temps on my Ryzen 3600 oc to 4.375 Ghz at 1.175v on my 360mm AIO

Idle temps at 40 deg average 

Load temps at 68-73 deg average (max detected at 78)
Ambient temps at 25-28 deg

Are these normal? I was thinking that with my beefy AIO, temps could be lower. Case used is your pretty average mid tower case with 7 120 mm fans.
360 mm Rad at top with 3 fans set as intake
3 fans up front as intake
1 rear fan as exhaust.

All intake fans are set at minimum RPM with the exhaust fan set at much higher RPM to compensate for better airflow.

After removing the cpu block after about 2 weeks of use, this is what get. The middle seemed to be smooth and not making enough contact with the cpu die although the tpaste was evenly distributed (sorry no pictures).
Thanks in advanced!

120708413_676168280003542_5958621267415468458_n.jpg

Those numbers are a bit on the higher side indeed. Although that depends on what load you are running. Are those temps in something like prime95 small FFT, or a more reasonable load like cinebench, gaming, editing?

I am getting 65 degrees under cinebench with the same chip at 4.3ghz at 1.325v set (1.294-1.3v under load) with a 280mm AIO mounted as an intake at 20-22 degrees ambient.  

Given that your chip is running on a much lower voltage, with a 360mm AIO, you should be getting better thermals in my opinion. It might be worth testing the AIO as a front-mounted intake (if your case allows it)

1 hour ago, Vals89 said:

Those numbers are a bit on the higher side indeed. Although that depends on what load you are running. Are those temps in something like prime95 small FFT, or a more reasonable load like cinebench, gaming, editing?

I am getting 65 degrees under cinebench with the same chip at 4.3ghz at 1.325v set (1.294-1.3v under load) with a 280mm AIO mounted as an intake at 20-22 degrees ambient.  

Given that your chip is running on a much lower voltage, with a 360mm AIO, you should be getting better thermals in my opinion. It might be worth testing the AIO as a front-mounted intake (if your case allows it)

Thanks for the feedback!. The average temps are from Prime95. Under gaming and cinnebench tems wouldd play at around 63 to 68 deg. The case would allow it but I'm trying to avoid mounting my rad in front as per GN's Rad placement video guide. 

6 minutes ago, PasitimusD said:

Thanks for the feedback!. The average temps are from Prime95. Under gaming and cinnebench tems wouldd play at around 63 to 68 deg. The case would allow it but I'm trying to avoid mounting my rad in front as per GN's Rad placement video guide. 

If that's the case, you have nothing to worry about. Those are good temps considering the higher ambient temp. 

On a side note, according to GN's AIO Mounting Orientation video, there is nothing wrong with mounting the rad in front, as long as the tubes are placed on the bottom, not on top. 

2 minutes ago, Vals89 said:

If that's the case, you have nothing to worry about. Those are good temps considering the higher ambient temp. 

On a side note, according to GN's AIO Mounting Orientation video, there is nothing wrong with mounting the rad in front, as long as the tubes are placed on the bottom, not on top. 

Thanks again. But that's the thing about the front rad, my case cant support mounting the tubes at the bottom of the rad. :D

9 hours ago, PasitimusD said:

4.375 Ghz

I'm so jealous. Don't worry about these temps honestly, they may not be the best but considering the clocks its awesome.

My 3700X is stable at a max of 4.2 GHz at 1.275V, your chip is insane

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Case used is your pretty average mid tower case with 7 120 mm fans.

Knowing the case model matters a lot here. There's some cases that heavily restrict airflow.

After removing the cpu block after about 2 weeks of use, this is what get.

Is that after cleaning up thermal paste? That doesn't look right if so

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 hours ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

I'm so jealous. Don't worry about these temps honestly, they may not be the best but considering the clocks its awesome.

My 3700X is stable at a max of 4.2 GHz at 1.275V, your chip is insane

Thanks for the feedback sir! I've further performed stress tests and adjusted my voltages to 1.2 and clocks to 4.35 ghz. I may have lucked out on the chip :D

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

Knowing the case model matters a lot here. There's some cases that heavily restrict airflow.

Is that after cleaning up thermal paste? That doesn't look right if so

Thanks for the feedback sir! The case I'm using is Omega x6 Titan (A rebrand of Anidees Crystal). As for the cold plate, yes, it's after cleaning the block. I remember installing the AIO with the surface having a smooth mirror like finish. I'm thinking the Tpastes caused a bad reaction to the block? CPU ihs seemed fine.

15 minutes ago, PasitimusD said:

Thanks for the feedback sir! The case I'm using is Omega x6 Titan (A rebrand of Anidees Crystal). As for the cold plate, yes, it's after cleaning the block. I remember installing the AIO with the surface having a smooth mirror like finish. I'm thinking the Tpastes caused a bad reaction to the block? CPU ihs seemed fine.

I looked at the case and while airflow is restricted it doesn't seem that bad. There should be a 1"+ gap in the front panel that allows air to come in.

I'd look at the cold plate on the block though, that might be corrosion, not entirely sure from the picture. What thermal paste are you using?

This might be enough for a warranty

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 hours ago, Energycore said:

I looked at the case and while airflow is restricted it doesn't seem that bad. There should be a 1"+ gap in the front panel that allows air to come in.

I'd look at the cold plate on the block though, that might be corrosion, not entirely sure from the picture. What thermal paste are you using?

This might be enough for a warranty

I'm using Deepcools Z3 Thermal paste
https://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/accessory/2013-12/48_652.shtml