Keychron k1

Andrew D4

Hi, I am looking to get the Keychron K1 V4 as an upgrade from my macbook pro keyboard. Does anyone who has this keyboard recommend it? Also, do you guys think brown low profile gateron switches are a good option for the switch type? 

P.S. This would be my first mechanical keyboard

Thanks

I don't know about how reliable that keyboard can be.  You should try to watch some reviews on youtube. 

As for the switches it depend of what you are used to and if you want to have something different or similar ... Browns are usually a good middle point between gaming and typing switch ... they have a tactile bump and don't have any mechanism to provide a click so they are more silent than blue switches.  So if you want to feel the key press then brown would be a good choice.  

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

6 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I don't know about how reliable that keyboard can be.  You should try to watch some reviews on youtube. 

As for the switches it depend of what you are used to and if you want to have something different or similar ... Browns are usually a good middle point between gaming and typing switch ... they have a tactile bump and don't have any mechanism to provide a click so they are more silent than blue switches.  So if you want to feel the key press then brown would be a good choice.  

Thanks for the help! One quick question, do you know if browns still feel as nice as blues even though they dont have the click? Ive been looking at some reviews and they say blues feel the best. 

1 hour ago, Andrew D4 said:

Thanks for the help! One quick question, do you know if browns still feel as nice as blues even though they dont have the click? Ive been looking at some reviews and they say blues feel the best. 

Went through this ordeal a while back. Reds were horrible to me and I accidentally pressed them when resting my fingers on WASD for example. Especially typing was terrible - gaming was ‚good‘ - except for the accidental keypresses. 

IMO (!) browns are nowhere near as satisfying to press as blues . On paper they are the best of both worlds but I felt like they are much closer to reds than blues. If you can live with the noise: blue!

but there are very good tactile brown alternatives from other manufacturers that get closer to the feel of a clicks switch

14 hours ago, ShinRamen said:

but there are very good tactile brown alternatives from other manufacturers that get closer to the feel of a clicks switch

Yes totally ... seriously I would try to avoid cherry mx brown as they really are probably the weakest brown out there.  I have kailh speed copper that has a really strong tactile bump, you really can't miss it ... after the bump the resistance is non existent until you bottom out.  I liked them to type on and also to game.  The total travel is quite short too. 

There are other tactile switches that offers a good experience ... I have the kailh box burnt orange and they also feel nice.  The tactility is not as strong as in the speed copper and the total travel is longer too ... the spring is quite heavy so accidental key-presses are almost never happening.  

Besides that I tried also kailh brown and those are the ones that resemble the most the cherry brown ... except that the kailh are actually good compared to the cherry.  ;) 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD