Intel IGP to have performance on par with GT 640

according to this article on tomshardware the haswell BGA lineup with GT3e graphics will be on par with the GT 640.

source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/VR-Zone-iGPU-Intel-HD-Graphics,22353.html

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Doesn't the i5-3570K Ivy already have that? I used the iGPU on mine in Star Trek online for a while for shits and giggles, and it actually ran the game on close to high settings, which I can't imagine being much worse than a GT 640.

Edit: Also, BGA on the CPUs with the best iGPU? Someone better damn well make an enthusiast level mini-ITX motherboard or Haswell just lost all of it's value to me in the blink of an eye.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Doesn't the i5-3570K Ivy already have that? I used the iGPU on mine in Star Trek online for a while for shits and giggles, and it actually ran the game on close to high settings, which I can't imagine being much worse than a GT 640.

Edit: Also, BGA on the CPUs with the best iGPU? Someone better damn well make an enthusiast level mini-ITX motherboard or Haswell just lost all of it's value to me in the blink of an eye.

no typically the HD 4000 graphics performs slightly worse than the GT 440 graphics card.

source

and the GT 440 is quite a bit worse than the GT 640

source

also why does it matter if they make a mini-ITX motherboard for it?the only thing I can think of that it would be useful for is a uber small form factor media pc with extremely low power consumption.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

BGA (Ball Grid Alignment  saughters into your motherboard (which means that you cannot remove it once you put it in the cpu socket). i don't even think it will be sold seperately, it is meant for all-in-one-pcs and ultrabooks, NOT for gaming machines, as the CPU cores on the -R models of processors are NOT unlocked to my knowledge  However, the 4770k, a gaming grade cpu, will have a GT2 Intel 4600 Graphics IGP, so that is good to (plus it is unlocked because of the -K). Anyway, IGPs are worthless unless you have Virtue MVP included in your motherboard (I think they only come included with Asus and Gigabyte boards), because Virtue takes the IGP and puts some of the graphics workload on that as well as your dedicated GPU, of course, and apparently improves performance and frame rates by 30% on average (of course it depends on your setup). Anyway, don't get too exited about -R series processors and start getting exited about Intel 4600 GT2 IGP. Haswell is going to have almost identical specs to that of ivy bridge (the same lithography, identical frequencies, etc.), however, the new instruction set and higher TDP apparently improves performance by 5-10%, so that is worth waiting for. All I can say is I am exited for Ivy Bridge-E which is also rumored to improve performance from that of Sandy Bridge-E by 5-10%. Also the lithography on that of the Ivy Bridge-E is going to be 22 nm vs 32 nm on that of the Sandy Bridge-E, which will ultimately lead to better temps which lead to better overclocks.

Sources:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Sandy-Bridge-E-Ivy-Intel-i7,22254.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-i7-4770K-3770K-Benchmark,22270.html

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

also why does it matter if they make a mini-ITX motherboard for it?the only thing I can think of that it would be useful for is a uber small form factor media pc with extremely low power consumption.

That's exactly what I'm doing. But a crappy OEM motherboard can go jump off a cliff.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

BGA (Ball Grid Alignment  saughters into your motherboard (which means that you cannot remove it once you put it in the cpu socket). i don't even think it will be sold seperately, it is meant for all-in-one-pcs and ultrabooks, NOT for gaming machines, as the CPU cores on the -R models of processors are NOT unlocked to my knowledge  However, the 4770k, a gaming grade cpu, will have a GT2 Intel 4600 Graphics IGP, so that is good to (plus it is unlocked because of the -K). Anyway, IGPs are worthless unless you have Virtue MVP included in your motherboard (I think they only come included with Asus and Gigabyte boards), because Virtue takes the IGP and puts some of the graphics workload on that as well as your dedicated GPU, of course, and apparently improves performance and frame rates by 30% on average (of course it depends on your setup). Anyway, don't get too exited about -R series processors and start getting exited about Intel 4600 GT2 IGP. Haswell is going to have almost identical specs to that of ivy bridge (the same lithography, identical frequencies, etc.), however, the new instruction set and higher TDP apparently improves performance by 5-10%, so that is worth waiting for. All I can say is I am exited for Ivy Bridge-E which is also rumored to improve performance from that of Sandy Bridge-E by 5-10%. Also the lithography on that of the Ivy Bridge-E is going to be 22 nm vs 32 nm on that of the Sandy Bridge-E, which will ultimately lead to better temps which lead to better overclocks.

Sources:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Sandy-Bridge-E-Ivy-Intel-i7,22254.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-i7-4770K-3770K-Benchmark,22270.html

I realized what BGA was,though the explanation may be helpful for people who did not.

BGA can be used for gaming machines as many gamers do not overclock their processor,and since the performance should be better than ivybridge out of the box there shouldn't be much reason for the average gamer to OC.

virtu MVP is not that great,tweaktown did a review of it and all it did was 

-cause games to glitch occasionally 

-raise fps when it's above 60fps

-lower fps when it's below 60fps

so as of now virtu,to me, is not a very appealing solution to combining IGP and dedicated GPU.

Linus Sebastian said:

according to this article on tomshardware the haswell BGA lineup with GT3e graphics will be on par with the GT 640.

while this is disappointing when considering that they claimed it was on par with the gt 650m,it is still very impressive.

source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/VR-Zone-iGPU-Intel-HD-Graphics,22353.html

A GT 650M is the same thing as a lower clocked GT 640 (384 CUDA Cores, GT 640 has core clock of 900MHz and GT 650M is 750-850), so this is correct actually.  The only difference is I guess the GT 650M can be configured with either GDDR5 or DDR3; I guess Intel meant the DDR3 version when they said it was as good as the 650M.

It's not impressive at all from a performance per watt.

But here is what I hope it will do. Intel continues to push that GPU performance is needed, and OEMs decides to bring back non-gaming laptop with med range GPUs

is it posible that APU's could kill graphics cards in future :blink:

is it posible that APU's could kill graphics cards in future :blink:

not really, if you look at the size of a gpu (eg 680) alone, forgetting power ram and cooling, it is much bigger than a processor to fit in cores. while we can get closer to mid range, we'll not replace the dedicated card for years to come.

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

not really, if you look at the size of a gpu (eg 680) alone, forgetting power ram and cooling, it is much bigger than a processor to fit in cores. while we can get closer to mid range, we'll not replace the dedicated card for years to come.

the gap is slowly getting smaller, we myt get there one day I think

the gap is slowly getting smaller, we myt get there one day I think

i'm not saying we wont get there, but it'll never replace a dedicated gpu. for every bit an igpu advances, so do nvidia and amd

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

Well, the time the Intel GPU comes out.. it will be what? Comparing itself to a almost 2 year old low-high range GPU (650M)? Nvdiia and AMD will have something faster by then. And remember guys, we are looking at the supposed performance of the HIGHEST end Intel CPU. What we will have in our tablet and laptop will be much lower (especially tablets, as the processor needs to be like 10W... not 84W). Not to mention drivers,Intel drivers are not particularly great, and support tend to usually drop as soon as a new CPU generation is out from them.

But what I am happy about, is that Intel is pushing to consumer and OEMs (at least for now), how GPU power is important in todays computers. Maybe we will see back med range GPUs in non-gaming laptops as an option, or heck even tablets with a GPU in keyboard with battery or stand add-on.

does anyone know if BGA haswell cpu's coming delidded ?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

BGA?  You mean soldered to the board, as in laptop chips?  As far as I know those have never used heat spreaders.

yeah thats why i asked it that kinda increases overclock ability (if the other components are good enough) 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Anyway, IGPUs are worthless unless you have Virtue MVP included in your motherboard (I think they only come included with Asus and Gigabyte boards), because Virtue takes the IGP and puts some of the graphics workload on that as well as your dedicated GPU, of course, and apparently improves performance and frame rates by 30% on average (of course it depends on your setup). 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I though the iGPU essentially powered QuickSync to massively reduce video encoding times?

But yeah, it's use in games with Virtu is a bit hit and miss.