Volt Mod on GPU - Explanation Please on What's Going on?

Yoshi Moshi

I'm not sure what is going on here.

Connect explained: 1:24-1:40

After soldering on a header to the connector, hooking up some device, and detecting voltage controller: 3:30-4:46

Changing voltage: 10:56-11:33

He applied 0.6 V on the voltage mod. He said that applying anymore, it would get to warm.

Can someone please provide a technical explanation on what this voltage mod is doing? He's changing some voltage from zero to 0.6 V? He's changing the voltage on what exactly to 0.6 V? He said that if he applied more voltage it would get to warm, meaning what exactly? It would thermal throttle?

Thanks for any help in understanding this. I can't really find a technical explanation on what exactly this voltage mod is. Also why where there holes in the PCB and connections to support this voltage mod on a commercially released product? Is it really there for owners to do this mod?

32 minutes ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

Bump went onto second page, no explanation still

It's been only 8 hours.

9 hours ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

Also why where there holes in the PCB and connections to support this voltage mod on a commercially released product? Is it really there for owners to do this mod?

No it's most likely there to do factory programming of settings. That doesn't mean that we can't try and use it as well though :P

9 hours ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

Can someone please provide a technical explanation on what this voltage mod is doing? He's changing some voltage from zero to 0.6 V? He's changing the voltage on what exactly to 0.6 V? He said that if he applied more voltage it would get to warm, meaning what exactly? It would thermal throttle?

He's changing it by 0.06 V (quite a difference :P ). From what I can tell it's increasing the voltage on the GPU. You can see he's measuring GPU voltage around 5:50. This increases the power it can draw potentially allowing higher clocks to be reached. Too warm means simply that the chip was getting too hot and would probably start to clock down again because of higher temperatures.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

15 hours ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

From my very limited understanding, shunt mod increase maximum board power limit and voltage mod allow direct voltage adjustment on the GPU. 

He added an offset of 0.06v to whatever the default GPU core voltage was.

You can adjust voltage with software like MSI Afterburner but GPU Boost will override that, hence he need this mod to force that extra voltage. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |