Audio for a talking head video

FeaR418

Hey all,

I am looking into starting a youtube channel for talking about personal finance. I am looking at potential affordable starter audio options for this, and was looking for a cheaper/ yet still decent quality lavalier mic. Does anyone have any recommendations, or should I use a different type of mic (such as Shotgun). I am planning on using a Canon Camera.

To my knowledge lavalier mics are very expensive if you want reasonable audio i would just go with a shotgun mic like the ones streamers usually use as they get mass produced and have a decent quality and good pricing. you can just move it out of the picture when recording...

Im guessing the cannon camera has just a audio jack input
Most lav microphones wont have cables long enough to stretch from a person all the way to a camera. Most are designed to either go into a pocket recorder or a wireless transmitter.

Most are around £50 mark for entry level lapel microphones. The price to performance cap is around 100 to 150 mark. Once you go over that you spending a lot of money for little gain in quality.

Low price
Shure Motiv MVL/A
Rode SmartLav+
Rode Lavalier GO

High price
AudioTechnica AM3
Sennheiser ME4
Sennheiser ME 2

5 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Im guessing the cannon camera has just a audio jack input
Most lav microphones wont have cables long enough to stretch from a person all the way to a camera. Most are designed to either go into a pocket recorder or a wireless transmitter.

Most are around £50 mark for entry level lapel microphones. The price to performance cap is around 100 to 150 mark. Once you go over that you spending a lot of money for little gain in quality.

Low price
Shure Motiv MVL/A
Rode SmartLav+
Rode Lavalier GO

High price
AudioTechnica AM3
Sennheiser ME4
Sennheiser ME 2

I bought the BOYA by M1 Lavalier Microphone for $26 CAD, however if this sucks because its so cheap (the reviews ive seen were pretty good tho so il try it),  I have $230 left in my budget