Confirmation of PSU diagnostics.

ubuntu-guru

Friend called today, had me come over. His computer would randomly shut off and the LED light would blink on the tower. Happened at random, sometimes after 20 mins of being on, sometimes 30. In order to get it to turn back on, you had to turn off the PSU in the back / dc the power cable, plug it back in, and it would start.

Took the PSU apart and the fan on it was completely gone (nano fan, which I've also never heard of). Even with force, the blades barely spin, so a bad bearing. I replaced the fan with a new one I had extra, and it's on for the moment.

I'm not completely up to date on the technologies used for PSUs, so I want to confirm this. It's an EVGA 750 BQ 80+. Do PSUs have a sensor within them that will be able to monitor the temp of the PSU and then kill the power in order to prevent damage from heat. I'm sort of curious if this was a solution that fixed the issue, or if it was merely an additional sign of wear, and the issue will pop up again. As I said, unsure of what technologies are used and if the internal parts are monitored by the PSU. I know some have under/over volt protection, but temp sensors? If so, why can't we tap into those with software to read the temps of the PSU.