Question about ASUS STRIX 3080 Power Requirements

Alexb770

I'm considering picking up ASUS' STRIX OC model, but news around it and its power requirements are making me nervous. I've checked the requirements on ASUS' website and they recommend 750 watts, but there have been some articles that seem to hint that might not be enough. Also, I found a post on the Best Buy page for the strix and it reads as follows:

According to independent contracted testers, the latest model of the TUF card has two of the 10 MCLL caps the same as EVGA FW3 Flagship model and the Nvidia Founder Editions. The ROG Strix 3080 and 3090 models rumored to have all SIX, 10 MCLL caps. ASUS forum moderators who have had the opportunity to test the card along with a couple of well known youtubers have confirmed in similar post. As well as double down on consumers will need 850 watt gold power supply as minimum, and high recommend a 1000 watt power house from well known manufacturers to run the ROG Strix version of the cards. It is also recommend if you already have the watts in your current power supply it should be less than a year old. I've been following this pretty closely as a run a gaming community with roughly 1000 plus members. A lot of new players with COV low end budget builds, basically trying throw 1500 horsepower engine into Pinto in hopes they can call it a supercar.

TLDR: ASUS forum mods are saying you'll probably need at least 850 watts, which is contradictory to what ASUS has been saying.

I'm currently running a Corsair RM 750i gold+, and it's about a year old now. I'd say it's been used fairly extensively, as I've been running overnight AFK farms in games since around June. Would I be okay to get this card, or should I opt for another one? I'm kind of set on this one since it's the highest clocked version so far and I really like the design. 

6 minutes ago, Alexb770 said:

I'm currently running a Corsair RM 750i gold+, and it's about a year old now.

You're good...don't worry about this.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR