1982 old school TV

i own a amazing television from the year 1992 zenith space commander console TV  the problem is that it will not work, when me & my father turned it on there was INSANE noise like the sound was ear piercing loud with the sound a a garbage disposal with a metal can in, it its a color TV but the visual was like the black and white static but like zoomed in? so there was big chunks of black and white flickering, the image is the internals, my dad said it probably a bad power supply/conductor or whatever 

20200929_191320.jpg

There’s also that it is basically a special type of radio receiver and the frequencies it has been pretuned to are used for other things now. It won’t produce anything other than static and weirdness without an adaptor box of a type that I don’t think has been sold in some years.  If you’ve got an old game box of the period you could try plugging into that and see if there is still a problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s also that it is basically a special type of radio receiver and the frequencies it has been pretuned to are used for other things now. It won’t produce anything other than static and weirdness without an adaptor box of a type that I don’t think has been sold in some years.  If you’ve got an old game box of the period you could try plugging into that and see if there is still a problem.

game box? like a console? uuuuhh.... PS2 NES SNES 

Yep.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Warin said:

You will also need an rf modulator of some sort, because a set that old is unlikely to have anything other than a coaxial input.

It’s a little plastic thing with a coax input and a couple little wires with screw adaptors on it.  Hope it’s in the box with the old console.

That is just a 75-300 ohm converter. If we are talking NES/Genesis era stuff, they came with an rf modulator game switch that you screw the converter onto to use the screw terminals on the tv. For later consoles that only have an av out, you need a separate modulator. They aren’t too expensive :)

like this:https://www.amazon.ca/Richer-R-Modulator-Converter-Extender-Supporting/dp/B089MZVSF3/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxu3O1PaP7AIVmR-tBh0xgA0kEAAYAiAAEgKK9fD_BwE&hvadid=208380738478&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001473&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7440024548702555280&hvtargid=kwd-21749636&hydadcr=1499_9454461&keywords=rf+modulator&qid=1601436188&sr=8-5&tag=googcana-20

14 hours ago, Warin said:

That is just a 75-300 ohm converter. If we are talking NES/Genesis era stuff, they came with an rf modulator game switch that you screw the converter onto to use the screw terminals on the tv. For later consoles that only have an av out, you need a separate modulator. They aren’t too expensive :)

like this:https://www.amazon.ca/Richer-R-Modulator-Converter-Extender-Supporting/dp/B089MZVSF3/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxu3O1PaP7AIVmR-tBh0xgA0kEAAYAiAAEgKK9fD_BwE&hvadid=208380738478&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001473&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7440024548702555280&hvtargid=kwd-21749636&hydadcr=1499_9454461&keywords=rf+modulator&qid=1601436188&sr=8-5&tag=googcana-20

already got one actually im planning on doing it.... kinda see if its not the channels, then the problem is the internals, but those TV's hold energy even when there turned off so if i need to replace a part i might get electrocuted even if the TV is plugged in for 15 mins i might have to wait a month till i can touch it...

If you have a rubber handled screwdriver you can also short the terminals on the caps and discharge them.  Google "discharging CRT capacitors" and watch a few safety videos.

Watch the videos before getting anything metal of flesh based near those capacitors. 

3 hours ago, Warin said:

If you have a rubber handled screwdriver you can also short the terminals on the caps and discharge them.  Google "discharging CRT capacitors" and watch a few safety videos.

OK update, talked to my dad the screen did not come up at all also the speakers made a noise sounding like machine guns firing inside a garbage disposal loud as hell too...