P750GM Gold PSU issue

MarcBlainville

Hello guys!  

This is my first post, thanks in advance for any insight.

The issue I have is the following: 

I bought two identical PC's, one for myself and one for my wife.   We decided to go with mini-ITX because it would fit nice in our entertainment room, and I'm pretty happy with the result for now.

However, I ran in major issue when starting up the PC's.  The power supply shuts off as soon as I'd launch any game or sometimes even sign in into Windows and caused the PC to restart.

Tried everything and couldn't make it work.  Please note I assembled the 2 PC's and both would do the same thing. 

Here are the builds:

Core i7 10700K

GTX 2080super

Aorus z490i

NZXT h200i

Kraken X53

+2 out-take fans

2 NVME hard drive (samsung 970)

P750GM power supply

Here are the steps I've followed:

- Remove part by part and see what might cause the issue.  the pc would work fine without the GPU. 

- tried 3 different GPU's and all would do the same result.  Restart whenever I'd start a game.

- reinstalled windows and checked all drivers to make sure it wasn't the cause.

- Lowered the clock on both PC to -1000hz and the problem was still there but a little better (instead of crashing right away, it would crash when I'd load within the game to start playing, meaing the menu would work)

- I finally changed the PSU's and IT WORKED right away! However the PSU's I had are older models with less wattage, I'd rather install the P750GM or a similar product to get better airflow in the very small cases...

I came to the conclusion the PSU's are the cause, and would shut off as a protection when more energy was needed.   

It does feel weird 2 brand new PSU's that are well rated and Gold standard would BOTH be faulty.  

I'm wondering if it could be something I'm missing ? I wonder if there is some kind of setting on a PSU I wouldn't know about ? (probably not) 

Small detail:  the PSU fans would start and stop, but I think it's normal on this model.

Any insight would be super appreciated. 

Thanks,

Marc

21 minutes ago, MarcBlainville said:

It does feel weird 2 brand new PSU's that are well rated and Gold standard would BOTH be faulty. 

If a bad batch leaves the factory line, all sorts of stick issues occur. Reach out to customer support with your serial numbers and see if there's a recall.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, MarcBlainville said:

I'm wondering if it could be something I'm missing ? I wonder if there is some kind of setting on a PSU I wouldn't know about ? (probably not)

While unlikely its not impossible that the whole batch are faulty and as you bought them together....

I assume you double checked all connections to/from the PSUs?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7