Titan Xp in 2020

CTX-SLPR

While watching all of the new benchmarking, testing, and especially all of the in-depth examination of components and coolers (I love science and engineering) for the new 30XX launch, I’ve been watching the used market to see what shakes out.  Steve (GN) and Jay (Jayz2cents) have mentioned, unless you aren’t happy with your current card’s performance, don’t bother upgrading to 30XX yet.  While 2080 tis have popped back up in price and even 1080 tis aren’t really that much cheaper, a quick look through eBay completed listings shows a lot of Titan Xp (Pascal) for a $100-150 premium on the 1080 tis while still being $150-200 less than a 2080 ti.  Price wise it looks like Titan Xps are selling for around the price of a 2080 Super or 2080 standard.  

I’ll admit the the attractiveness of a Titan is my use of SolidWorks and it’s desire for large amounts of VRAM but I’m a casual player vs. a hardcore FPS player.  I really just want to turn the draw distances up to maximum and the details as high as I can to make for the most immersive game play in older (read cheaper) titles.  Looking through various benchmark comparisons, it looks like they’re all pretty even performance wise unless I’m playing driving games (which I don’t).

What’s y’all’s thoughts on the viability of a Titan Xp in 2020?

9 minutes ago, CTX-SLPR said:

While watching all of the new benchmarking, testing, and especially all of the in-depth examination of components and coolers (I love science and engineering) for the new 30XX launch, I’ve been watching the used market to see what shakes out.  Steve (GN) and Jay (Jayz2cents) have mentioned, unless you aren’t happy with your current card’s performance, don’t bother upgrading to 30XX yet.  While 2080 tis have popped back up in price and even 1080 tis aren’t really that much cheaper, a quick look through eBay completed listings shows a lot of Titan Xp (Pascal) for a $100-150 premium on the 1080 tis while still being $150-200 less than a 2080 ti.  Price wise it looks like Titan Xps are selling for around the price of a 2080 Super or 2080 standard.  

I’ll admit the the attractiveness of a Titan is my use of SolidWorks and it’s desire for large amounts of VRAM but I’m a casual player vs. a hardcore FPS player.  I really just want to turn the draw distances up to maximum and the details as high as I can to make for the most immersive game play in older (read cheaper) titles.  Looking through various benchmark comparisons, it looks like they’re all pretty even performance wise unless I’m playing driving games (which I don’t).

What’s y’all’s thoughts on the viability of a Titan Xp in 2020?

The titan xp is for all intents and purposes a gtx 1080ti in gaming and a better card for solidworks. Does totally depend on the price you can get it for however.

I really dislike linking things I’m interested I out of fear that someone will “snipe” it out from under me but this is the specific one that has caught my eye, especially after watching GN’s hybrid build results:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTX-Titan-X-12gb-Pascal-900-1G611-2500-000-with-EVGA-Hybrid-Cooler/174444555897

Seems like I could recoup a good portion of that cost selling my 1070 FE as well.

37 minutes ago, CTX-SLPR said:

I really dislike linking things I’m interested I out of fear that someone will “snipe” it out from under me but this is the specific one that has caught my eye, especially after watching GN’s hybrid build results:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTX-Titan-X-12gb-Pascal-900-1G611-2500-000-with-EVGA-Hybrid-Cooler/174444555897

Seems like I could recoup a good portion of that cost selling my 1070 FE as well.

For 440 a rtx 2080 is also an option which depending on what you do may just be better. Also hybrid cards kinda sorta suck in the way that their coolers will die a lot quicker than an air cooler.

I think that one is running on the lower end of Titan Xp prices, potentially due to the cooler.

I agree that the AIO cooler have a slightly shorter lifespan but based on some of the reviews about how hard the Titan chokes on it's own cooling solution it seems like a worthwhile upgrade.  This also seems like it was done with a kit vs. a kludge on a CPU block.

I looked up the part number and that’s a Titan X (Pascal) vs. the Titan Xp.  Probably a minor thing for my applications as well.

However, is the answer really just RTX 3070?  It’s got a price point right at the same neighborhood as the rest of these cards.

Solid works really use that much vram ? ... All the things I've read about solidworks is that you need a really fast cpu (cause it likes frequency more than core count), that it uses about 2 cpu cores (read that on some cad forum so not sure if it's reliable info), need ideally 32gb of system ram (minimum 16), and that in 1080p you would need about 4gb of vram so an old quatro would still do the trick like the K4200.  I've read that the gpu only starts to matter more when you use the visualize feature. 

I'm trying to build a mastercam and solidworks pc for a friend and I would like to know if all the thing I've read are just stupid nonsense.  You're a solid work user so maybe you could confirm that for me.  As for the gpu support, on the solidworks site they only talk about quatro and radeon pro line of cards.  Here is a link from where I took some info about the requirement.  

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2019/10/solidworks-2020-hardware-recommendations/

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

What version of SolidWorks are they going to be running?  Up to SW19 that advice was spot on about a higher clock, lower core count CPU and the GPU only coming into play if you were running the RealView Graphics option to a limited effect.  I went in with a registry editor and added the 1070 to the list and got RealView working on it but you can’t do a optics path render like you can on a Quadro.  

That changed with SW19, at work where I have a Xeon and Quadro system I’ll routinely peg the GPU (P4000) just rotating a large model in the interface.  Now I’m still running SW16 at home but in this era of the Coof and telecommuting, I’m considering moving that license to my personal desktop since the work laptop has a K2000M (unrefreshed Kepler) and it’s struggling.

The RAM is also a “more the merrier” depending on how large of an assembly they’ll be working on.  Mine has 16Gb and hasn’t missed a beat on lets say “hobbyist” level models and assemblies.  We’ll find out if that’s enough if I pull the SW20 license home and start working on the work stuff.

1 minute ago, CTX-SLPR said:

RealView Graphics

Yes that's the name I was looking for ...

I think he will be using sw19 or sw20.  It's for home use and not for professionnal work so I don't think that the parts will be that big. 

4 minutes ago, CTX-SLPR said:

That changed with SW19, at work where I have a Xeon and Quadro system I’ll routinely peg the GPU (P4000) just rotating a large model in the interface.

the gpu usage is pegged but is the vram also full ?   It probably depend of the numbers of triangles calculated so yeah the higher the number, the bigger the vram needs to be ... same for the resolution. 

As for your original question, the titan x pascal is a nice card and compares to the 1080ti in term of gaming performance so it would be an upgrade compared to the 1070 for gaming.  As for it's usefulness in solid works I don't know how it would compare ... probably not much different from a 1080ti.  As for the custom cooling on the titan I would say it's really not worth the money right now ... I would try to find a used 1080 ti instead of save up and wait for the 3070 or maybe if you go all out wait for a 3080 with more vram to come out as there are more and more rumors about that and there's a spot available between the 3080 and 3090 price wise.  Maybe amd will come with a nice offering too that might be just right for you.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Why-you-should-use-a-Quadro-video-card-in-Solidworks-2016-751/

Here I found some benchmark using sw16 comparing the titan x maxwell and other geforce cards to the quadro lineup from those years.  I thought it might interest you.  You could probably game on a quadro but it's not as good as the geforce lineup tho. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

Here's a slightly updated look at how the RTX Quadros helped with SW19+

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2019-Quadro-RTX-Series-in-Enhanced-Graphics-Performance-Mode-1385/

Looking over the available stuff I couldn't find a direct comparison with between Pascal and Turing performance with SW19+.  I emailed Puget asking if they had some data on that comparison for the Quadros.  I did find some data on how the 2080 Ti,Titan Xp, and Quadros did and SolidWorks doesn't appear to be one of the applications where NVidia pushed Quadro driver stuff into the Titan line though it does do better than the 2080 Ti according to the GN/TechGage review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBLrkZtIVk), just slighly behind the P4000.

It looks like a used Titan Xp (or if cheap enough an X Pascal) wouldn't be a bad compromise card for me since a Titan V or an RTX Quadro are out of my reach and the lower SKU RTX Quadros would likely be worse for gaming than my current 1070.

7 hours ago, CTX-SLPR said:

Here's a slightly updated look at how the RTX Quadros helped with SW19+

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2019-Quadro-RTX-Series-in-Enhanced-Graphics-Performance-Mode-1385/

Looking over the available stuff I couldn't find a direct comparison with between Pascal and Turing performance with SW19+.  I emailed Puget asking if they had some data on that comparison for the Quadros.  I did find some data on how the 2080 Ti,Titan Xp, and Quadros did and SolidWorks doesn't appear to be one of the applications where NVidia pushed Quadro driver stuff into the Titan line though it does do better than the 2080 Ti according to the GN/TechGage review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBLrkZtIVk), just slighly behind the P4000.

It looks like a used Titan Xp (or if cheap enough an X Pascal) wouldn't be a bad compromise card for me since a Titan V or an RTX Quadro are out of my reach and the lower SKU RTX Quadros would likely be worse for gaming than my current 1070.

Yes it seems like it's a good compromise there.  I would go for it if you have the budget but I don't think it's worth to water cool it unless you are very sensitive to noise.  Even more since not a lot of card would give more performance in SW for the same price ... so yeah it's a good deal there ... meanwhile I spotted a quadro M4000 for a decent price, might get that for the friend I'm building the pc for.  For now we would settle for an I3 10320 with 32gb of ram and potentially the M4000.  He's a hobbyist so that machine will probably be good for him ... I was also thinking about the i5 10600k for the overclock possibilities ... might help with SW and Mastercam.  He won't game on that pc so gaming performance are not very important ... and besides that I3 is more powerful than my I7 4770 ... :/

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

I'm coming around to your way of thinking reading how the EVGA AIOs are produced in batch lots so a Pascal block/pump would be out of support now and AIOs do wear out. 

That sounds like a decent system considering the improvement in architecture in CPUs, don't run CAM so don't know how that scales but then again stuff like that tends to be time in the background while it paths the tool and generates the G-code.  That RAM ought to handle the fun.  Had an M4000 before the P4000 and it was good till I went crazy with trying to make stuff look real and add 100's of fasteners to an assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know if you bought the M4000 yet but I poked around for the first time on Facebook Marketplace and noticed there is someone selling a pair of Quadro RTX 4000s for $400 each.  I seriously thought about it but looking into the performance the fact it’s a single slot design makes it run obscenely hot for gaming which is probably 60% of my usage of a card.  However wouldn’t be a bad one for your friend if it’s in the budget.

6 hours ago, CTX-SLPR said:

Don’t know if you bought the M4000 yet but I poked around for the first time on Facebook Marketplace and noticed there is someone selling a pair of Quadro RTX 4000s for $400 each.  I seriously thought about it but looking into the performance the fact it’s a single slot design makes it run obscenely hot for gaming which is probably 60% of my usage of a card.  However wouldn’t be a bad one for your friend if it’s in the budget.

thanx for the tip ... I don't think that he would like to pay that much for the gpu for now ... still haven't build the pc cause we're waiting for the ryzen 5000 release hoping on good sales on the 3000 series ... or to get some used ones. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd