Use faster ram than officially supported.

I will build a PC for my dad for christmas to replace it's 15 years old laptop and I will probably build one for me aswell.

His is likely to get an i3-10100 and mine a i7-9700k or the next gen equivalent.

For the i3-10100, the maximum speed it officially supported is 2666Mhz.... So what will happen or what should I do if I intall a dual channel 3200Mhz kit with that CPU?

4 minutes ago, FuuMasta said:

For the i3-10100, the maximum speed it officially supported is 2666Mhz.... So what will happen or what should I do if I intall a dual channel 3200Mhz kit with that CPU?

Intel only allows you to go above the officially supported RAM speeds on Z boards (ex: Z490), if you aren't using one then you'd be artificially limited to 2666Mhz

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 minutes ago, FuuMasta said:

So what will happen or what should I do if I intall a dual channel 3200Mhz kit with that CPU?

Assuming you're running a z490 board, you can run 3200mhz kits, it's just anything over 2666 is technically not guaranteed, if you're going to be running a b or an h series board, you won't be able to run 3200, the kit will downclock itself. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: