Core speed or count better nowadays?

skaughtz

I have an old gaming rig that I use occasionally that has an RX 480, Z77 motherboard, and a 3570k in it.  The 3570K is a good overclocker and I currently have it at 4.5GHz with 16gigs of ram.  The other day I decided to fire up Devil May Cry 5 on it and I noticed that I was getting a noticeable amount of microstutter.

I happen to have a Xeon E3-1275 collecting dust (4 cores/8 threads) and I was wondering if the increased thread count on that CPU would be the better CPU to have in the system?

Since the Xeon can't overclock, it is limited to the turbo boost (3.5GHz on 4 cores/3.8GHz on one core).  What would be the better option to keep for playing newer games now?  The 1.0GHz faster 3570K, or the double thread count Xeon?  The whole system is hooked up to a 1080p 60Hz television in my bedroom that I am just using as a Steam console replacement.

I have always thought that core speed was boss, so I am surprised that 4.5GHz is causing stutter in a game like DMC5.

well thread count of xeon helps a lot in modern games more than that overclock

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

20 minutes ago, skaughtz said:

I have an old gaming rig that I use occasionally that has an RX 480, Z77 motherboard, and a 3570k in it.  The 3570K is a good overclocker and I currently have it at 4.5GHz with 16gigs of ram.  The other day I decided to fire up Devil May Cry 5 on it and I noticed that I was getting a noticeable amount of microstutter.

I happen to have a Xeon E3-1275 collecting dust (4 cores/8 threads) and I was wondering if the increased thread count on that CPU would be the better CPU to have in the system?

Since the Xeon can't overclock, it is limited to the turbo boost (3.5GHz on 4 cores/3.8GHz on one core).  What would be the better option to keep for playing newer games now?  The 1.0GHz faster 3570K, or the double thread count Xeon?  The whole system is hooked up to a 1080p 60Hz television in my bedroom that I am just using as a Steam console replacement.

I have always thought that core speed was boss, so I am surprised that 4.5GHz is causing stutter in a game like DMC5.

I found this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZPnI9aSOfk

1 hour ago, skaughtz said:

For gaming what matter is the true core count. Multithreads gonna boost it, but just a little.

Some games perform even better with multithreading turned off.

Why don't you just try it, since you already have it in hand.

Core clock will surely beat HT for performance.

If you're moving from a i5 to a slow but high cored xeon 2670, then it's a logical choice.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w