GPU Upgrade..?

Hey Team, 

I'm running:

Asus Z370 Tuf Gaming Plus

Trident Z 32GB 3200mhz

Intel 8086k

Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4

Samsung Evo 970 

I've got the opportunity to work once a week so i can hopefully start saving for a GPU which i don't have since my R9 390x crapped out at the end of 2019!

*Oh how i miss games to chill out and kill time*

Question is, would i be wasting my time saving for a 3080Tuf ??

Should i be aiming for something in the 2000 series?

No plans to upgrade my cpu etc anytime soon due to not having a job but you never know, i'd love to go ryzen one day... but i could be YEARS ya know...

Money is not an issue in the way that i am happy to save till i can afford a 3080....so "budget" isn't a factor for me....i'll just save longer..

Obviously i am leaning towards the 3080 BUT just wondering if it could actually be bad to throw it in my system i have now?.....

I'm reasonably certain that my specs are in the minimum respectable area for one of these cards but i'd love to hear from the brain trust 🙂

Cheers, 

Stumpy 

@NzStumpTech 📸 🇳🇿

Wait and see what AMD offers in late October

Also wait until lower-tier 3000 series come out (3060)

Those are pretty reasonable specs for a 3080 tho

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Hardware wise you're good but do you really need a 3080, what monitor do you have?

Yea I KNOW lol - at this point in time no i've got an AOC 12yr old 24inch 60htz 1080p BUT as i say if i'm going to buy a gpu i would like to be future proof and i'm willing to wait longer to do so.

Cheers, 

Stumpy 

@NzStumpTech 📸 🇳🇿

On 9/26/2020 at 5:23 PM, dfsgsfa said:

the point is are you willing to spend $700 for a gpu regarless of perf?

In New Zealand money it's so much worse lol..... I die a lil inside when videos say the prices of stuff at like micro centre etc.. and i know "exchange rates etc" BUT if you live in US and you deal in USD then you dont really consider that, it just IS that cheap... 

Anyway..... 2080's are still $1000-1100 atm ..... 3080's are listed for $1500 available for collection 1 Nov i guess the first lot sold out fast,.,... tho the way things are going i think getting the "next" run off the factory wont be a bad thing... plus the 3070 if it stays to the gossip sounds like it will equal the 3080...somehow lol

For me to save the $1500 i'm looking at shopping in Jan 2021 anyway SO lots of stuff is going to happen between now and then... 

My 390x didnt even last 5 years, nowhere near it so AMD......Meh..... I'd rather go with a 3000 series this time.I think the last nvidia card i had was a 470 or 460 something like that....that could be wrong.... it was just a tiny circuit board n a lil iddy biddy fan.... 

Cheers, 

Stumpy 

@NzStumpTech 📸 🇳🇿