Confused

I noticed that my Ryzen 2600 was pegged at 3.8Ghz on all cores even when idle so had a look about to see why this was and it turned out it was because of the Windows power management set to high performance so it was always running the CPU at 100%, even when not needed. I changed it down to balanced with max CPU still set to 100% and then played some games not thinking to close HWMonitor. I've not overclocked the processor at all (though may have precision boost on in the bios) and am just using a stock cooler with MX-4 thermal compound and saw that all bar one of the cores had gone over 4GHz and 2 of them had peaked at over 4.3GHz! All the while the temperature didn't breach 72C... This is where my confusion sets in, I've seen lots of people saying that even with OC and bumping up the voltage they are only getting up to 4.2GHz max. Have I just been extremely lucky in the silicon lottery?

I've pasted a screenshot. for reference.

image.png.ad146bb73c0a9c3d13b39ab261d5951f.png

OC on Ryzen is notoriously all over the place. For instance My Ryzen 7 1800X didn't overclock 1%... I had to downclock my 3200 RAM to 3000 to be stable.

So congratz, You won the silicon lottery!
I would put a better cooler on that puppy ASAP however to keep it from degrading.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

Maybe they were OCing on all cores. Whereas you are using boost which will boost one/two cores as needed to a higher freq... for example if I run cinebench that's a multi threaded workload, my cores all only go upto 4GHz approx, then in normal operation I get approx 4.25Ghz max on one/two cores.

But yes appears that you got a good unit if it'll go that high.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini