Coil Whine problems

wukashin

Dear pc enthusiasts, im really really tired and mad about my pc and its stupid problems. One of those is coil whine.

I recently built a new rig on july this year to be exact, and my build had problems since day one.

The rig s specs are these CPU: RYZEN 5 3600, GPU: Rtx 2060 ventus MSI (Swapped for nVidia GeForce Gtx 1660 Super Gigabyte 3 fan model) , 2x8gb Patriot Viper Blackout ram runnung st 3600 mhz, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, Toshiba P300 2tb 7200 RPM, Adata SSD 256gb, Antec NE650M(Swapped today for be quiet straight power 11 750w), Cooler master mb600l case, and the hyper 212 be rgb cpu cooler.

I have insane coil whine when i play games, but when i run the stress test for the gpu it isnt so loud, but its constantly there i think. First i swapped the gpu, it was there again. Then after research, and consulting with people who build pcs, we came to the conclusion that it was the PSU, so today i swapped it for a brand new psu, loaded up the Witcher 3, and got disappointed again. 

I dont really know what to do anymore, is it the GPU again? Im sorry of this post s place doesn't belong here, but i didn't know where else to put it.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

1 hour ago, wukashin said:

Dear pc enthusiasts, im really really tired and mad about my pc and its stupid problems. One of those is coil whine.

I recently built a new rig on july this year to be exact, and my build had problems since day one.

The rig s specs are these CPU: RYZEN 5 3600, GPU: Rtx 2060 ventus MSI (Swapped for nVidia GeForce Gtx 1660 Super Gigabyte 3 fan model) , 2x8gb Patriot Viper Blackout ram runnung st 3600 mhz, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, Toshiba P300 2tb 7200 RPM, Adata SSD 256gb, Antec NE650M(Swapped today for be quiet straight power 11 750w), Cooler master mb600l case, and the hyper 212 be rgb cpu cooler.

I have insane coil whine when i play games, but when i run the stress test for the gpu it isnt so loud, but its constantly there i think. First i swapped the gpu, it was there again. Then after research, and consulting with people who build pcs, we came to the conclusion that it was the PSU, so today i swapped it for a brand new psu, loaded up the Witcher 3, and got disappointed again. 

I dont really know what to do anymore, is it the GPU again? Im sorry of this post s place doesn't belong here, but i didn't know where else to put it.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Coil whine isn't really a problem beyond the noise. It's a physical phenomena of the cards electronics doing their thing. Some load cases will be worse than others and some cards will be worse than others. I have not seen any consistent reports of certain brands being better or worse for coil whine.

PSUs can have the same thing happen, however, I think this is more rare since PSUs in most modest systems aren't stressed to anywhere near max capability like a GPU would be.

I'm guessing you're still getting GPU coil whine. Your options are to live with it, RMA (if manufacturer considers coil whine something they will do an RMA for - many will not since it's not *technically* a problem), or return and try a different brand/model.

Do you game with headphones? I find once I'm in game and have headphones on any coil whine that shows up is really not noticeable.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

2 hours ago, boggy77 said:

can you post a video with sound of this happening?

I can

2 hours ago, boggy77 said:

can you post a video with sound of this happening?

I cant send the full vid where i show how and why its happening because its 100mb, but i will send an audio recording than

coil whine audio

Top 3 components to have coil whine are the GPU, PSU, and Motherboard. If you swapped the PSU and GPU but still have it, it's likely the motherboard. Keep in mind that coil whine is extremely common, and most replacements you get may still have it in some form or another. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

31 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Top 3 components to have coil whine are the GPU, PSU, and Motherboard. If you swapped the PSU and GPU but still have it, it's likely the motherboard. Keep in mind that coil whine is extremely common, and most replacements you get may still have it in some form or another. 

Im curious, do you have coil whine?

Because im really noise sensitive, and spending a lot of money on a rig and still having it is really a big no no in my book

3 minutes ago, wukashin said:

Im curious, do you have coil whine?

Because im really noise sensitive, and spending a lot of money on a rig and still having it is really a big no no in my book

I did, when my FPS got above a certain amount my GPU had coil whine. It only happened in game cutscenes that have uncapped framerates, or in games where I got over 400fps. I broke the card in to get rid of it (max synthetic stress test for about 4 hours), which can work with some components that have it. Not to sure about motherboards though. You can also take your chances with an RMA or replacement.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |