Windows 8 and storage spaces

jarreddean

Hey everyone, i was wondering what people thought of windows 8 and storage spaces. I currently have an issue with storage drives dropping out i was wondering if anyone else had this issue?

I'll do some testing, I'm using raid cards and well as Mb sata controllers any tips to solve the issue?

How many drives are you using? I had terrible performance and various problems with 2 large drives, but when I put in 6 old 80gb drives it was flawless.

How many drives are you using? I had terrible performance and various problems with 2 large drives, but when I put in 6 old 80gb drives it was flawless.
Using 6 1TB wd green drives. For some reason I have a feeling it has something to do with the green drives hibernating? /

Interesting, come to think of it the 2 large drives I use hibernate, and I don't think my old drives do, I'll have to have a look next time I am at that machine.

I dont think the storage option is safe. I have no idea how it saves files. Will it be recoverable if you lose one of the drives, what files will be saved on each drive? I prefer to be in control of my files.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I did it with a GoFlex external drive, and an internal 1TB. The USB drive kept dropping out, so I ended up ripping an identical internal 1TB from my dad's PC (gave him an old 320GB- he hasn't said anything, so obviously hasn't even noticed :p ) I hooked that up in Storage spaces with my internal drive, and haven't had a single problem since. Running them in RAID 0 so full 2TB. Will set backup to a PC downstairs from mine, just haven't got around to it yet... (don't worry, any important files are in the cloud)

I want to get all my hdds out of this machine and into network storage. My Gameplan is to just build a machine out of spare parts and use either Windows 8 or Windows Home Server 2011. Is storage spaces worth $50 (AUD) more than whatever HS 2011 does?

Check out my Trading Card Inventory, I probably have that one card you need

Gaming PC  Corsair C70 Arctic White ▪ MSI Z77 MPower ▪ i7-3770k, Core 4.0 GHz ▪ Patriot IEM 4 x 4GB @ 2133MHz ▪ 2 x Palit GTX 670 Jetstreams in SLI, Core 1250 MHz, Mem 3150 MHz ▪ OS on 128GB Samsung 840 Pro ▪ Silverstone ST85F-P w/ Fancy Silverstone Cables

Server ▫ Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ▪ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ▪ i5-2500 ▪ Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB @ 1600MHz ▪ Asus GTX 550ti ▪ OS on 120GB Samsung 840 ▪ 5.2TB Storage Space ▪ Antex HCG 900

I want to get all my hdds out of this machine and into network storage. My Gameplan is to just build a machine out of spare parts and use either Windows 8 or Windows Home Server 2011. Is storage spaces worth $50 (AUD) more than whatever HS 2011 does?
Well I mean win 8 pro you can get for around $70 au if you download an untouched copy and buy the product key online. So for the extra $20 up to you home server requires a lan connection so no WiFi. So I guess its up to you there r other features that win 8 has that hs doesn't and vis versa