Throwing away old computers -> take all you want

fishy

ok so what are the cpus there i wish to add to my collection of stolen and old cpu's

but to disappoint you, it's only old stuff :D

so, the school i went to years ago, is getting rid of old computers, some date back to 92'

the IT teacher tho, told me i can take anything i want, so i said sure, i'll come by and take a look!

i went there today and checked it out, first was O.o and then i started looking around

the stuff i so old that i don't even know if it's any good or not

but i narrowed down to 1 particular cpu that would be better than the old P4 i had in my old rig, so i figured, i might as well swap those since i can and maybe take few ram sticks and hdds if he'll allow it

so i'm posting pics here, so you can tell me if i missed something, or if you see anything of interest and you live near me (central europe) and you really really want it, i can take some stuff for you probably and give it to you, you'd just pay for shipping

p.s.

that cpu, i was thinking i'd swap the intel P4 1.8ghz with celeron d 2.66ghz (moar jigahertzs!) and the socket is the same, tho i have many boards to choose :D

would that be a smart move?

and i was thinking of taking some hdds, mind you that the largest is 60gb :D and all are IDE, but that's ok, there was also a mountain of IDE cables

but will see if he'll allow it since it's hdds... :P

and the gpu in the old comp is some ati saphire 128mb,and as i remember there weren't many gpus with more ram, but that doesn't always mean that's it's worse?

didn't pay much attention to those since i wansn't sure what kind of gpu i have in the old comp :D

there are loads of cpus, the pics are just of those that i found that are different from 1 another

pics:

http://imgur.com/a/xToZw#0

p.p.s.

sorry if it's wrong section, but wasn't sure if i'd post somewhere in hardware, but then where? it's a bit of everything! :D

or the workbench, but it says "new builds and planning" and this is anything but new :D

Any am2+ boards lying around?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

just get everything and put it on ebay. you could make loads of cash that way

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

i gathered what i could, i only left 3 different mobos, but like 7-10 of each model, were just 2 old, but not old enough intel and 1 old amd board

i took all the old old stuff and was trying to make some sense of it

got 1 octek hippo rev 1.1 with  cyrix cx 486 dx2 66, 4 opti boards with amd am 386 dx-40, 1 same opti board but with amd am 386 dx/dxl-40 and all the expansion cards i found for those boards (a couple of sound cards, some video cards, some scsi controlers, some network cards and some that i don't even know what it is :D)

plus, then i took 3 comps that weren't disassembled yet, tho 1 had no top cover and no hdd

1 is same octek hippo rev 1.1 board with st 486 dx2-66 cpu with the heatsink and a comical little bitsy tiny fan on it :D, another one with same opti board with amd am 386 dx-40 (same as before, i just wanted 1 already assembled) and the one with missing top has asus isa-386c mobo with intel i386 dx cpu

took all the ram sticks for these old mobos, some psus, few hdds (tho he formated it before he gave it to me)

except for the first 2 assembled pcs, they were not touched and still have os on it, one has windows for workgroups and the other one has beastly windows 95

also took 3 of the newer boards so i could test the celerons against my old P4 :D

p.s.

tried all the boards and everything works, took some pics and will took some more and when i'll have some time i'll try to organize it all a bit more and post it if anyone is interested

atm it's just work work and bit more work :D

p.p.s

i did took 1 case and put together 1 retro setup but had to improvise a bit when connecting the front "indicator" with mobo, had to use some hdd leds that i pulled out the led and connected it to that "indicator" (some sort of a board that goes on the front of the case that has reset and turbo button, indicator leds and mhz indicator, 8 mhz normal and 33 turbo! xD)

Edited by fishy

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.