No All LCD 100% Tactile QWERTY Keyboard Available

I have been on a search for a QWERTY computer keyboard where each key is a tactile display screen that can be changed via software. Unfortunately the 2 that I have found are unavailable. My first keyboard choice is from Sonder Design.  Each key is a display screen that is tactile and each key can be programmed to whatever layout you would like. 

They have been in development for years and I emailed them to ask about pre-ordering. They have not returned my email, and I fear they are a dying company.

The second keyboard was from Art Lebedev studios. Unfortunately it was discontinued. Even I were able to buy a used one, it has terrible reviews.

My question to the community is why there isn't more push from manufacturers to make these. I am in media, as well as bilingual. Having the ability to switch between languages, as well as different key command layouts for different software would be invaluable to me. I sincerely do not believe I would be the only person who would find this useful.

I imagine that it is difficult to produce, but unless I am missing something, I think it would sell well. It is also possible I am just not seeing the bigger picture. I would really appreciate anyone's informed view on this.

Thanks! 

19 minutes ago, T-Dot said:

My question to the community is why there isn't more push from manufacturers to make these. I am in media, as well as bilingual. Having the ability to switch between languages, as well as different key command layouts for different software would be invaluable to me. I sincerely do not believe I would be the only person who would find this useful.

Too niche of an application. Most who need editing specific keys would get something like this keyboard. Or if you are like Taran at LTT, you would just print out stickers and stick them on the keycaps.

22 minutes ago, T-Dot said:

I imagine that it is difficult to produce, but unless I am missing something, I think it would sell well. It is also possible I am just not seeing the bigger picture. I would really appreciate anyone's informed view on this.

As you can see with the Optimus Keyboard by Art Lebedev studios, they didn't sell well. Most professionals would already know the shortcuts through muscle memory so most wouldn't really need to look at the keyboard, only using it as a reference.

With regards to you being bilingual, learn to touch type. There will be a point where you wouldn't even need to look at the keyboard.

Thank you for your reply I appreciate it. I am aware of the editing keyboards but have always found them horrendous. I do know the keyboard commands, but I am constantly needing to learn new software, so the key commands are different, which makes editing keyboards very limited. 

Additionally, I enjoy learning new languages so having a keyboard that would change with the language that I am learning would be really helpful. Especially with languages like Korean, Japanese, and Chinese. 

I also think that although Art Lebedev didn't sell well, it was due to its insane price and terrible software, so there would need to be a more moderately priced option (at lease in my opinion) for it to be deemed niche. There are plenty of people in the same boat as me, and I know that it could be useful.

11 minutes ago, T-Dot said:

I also think that although Art Lebedev didn't sell well, it was due to its insane price and terrible software, so there would need to be a more moderately priced option (at lease in my opinion) for it to be deemed niche. There are plenty of people in the same boat as me, and I know that it could be useful.

Well then, why not not start the conversation at Geekhack. They are a keyboard focused forum that might lead you to someone that might make one. Granted it's still going to be expensive since it would be a limited item. I would think the price would still range from around USD$400-$600. It would need to be mass produced to be in the typical consumer price of >$200 (think your typical Corsair or Razer keyboards).

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s
Added GH link