Mechanical Keyboard Recommendations

dsong98

I'm trying to buy a new mechanical keyboard, and its hard to just go into a store and test which types of switches I like best. I currently have a Romer-G tactile keyboard, and I like how they aren't too loud to type on, and feel pretty smooth and almost linear. I want something that is similar.

I found 2 keyboards that I think I've narrowed it down to:

1. HyperX Alloy Elite 2 (MX Red)
  2. Corsair K70 MK.2 Low Profile Rapidfire (MX Speed)

Any recommendations for which one to get? Or any other keyboards recommendations?

I don't know about the smooth part but the cherry mx brown are well known to be "tactile" where you have to really work hard to find the tactility there.   I had a keyboard with those and they really felt like linear switches.  The kalh brown feel a bit more tactile and are way more satisfying to type on. 

I haven't tried any of those keyboard so I can't help you with those.  The thing I know is that those two keyboards have linear switches, they are not tactile that feels almost linear.  Also the mx speed have a really short actuation distance and the spring is quite light so you might press some keys by mistake compared to some other switches. 

Maybe you could look at ducky or durgod keyboard as they usually have good reviews. 

You could get a switch tester to try some ... but it's usually not really representative of the real feeling when typing or gaming.   IMO, the best way to try different type of switches without buying a complete keyboard every time is to buy a hot swapable keyboard or barebone like the gmmk.  From that point you can just buy switches to fill the board and test them out.  I have the gmmk in tkl and for now I have 3 set of switches ... gateron yellow for smooth linear, kailh speed copper for really tactile feeling and kailh box white for clicky ... actually I just got the kailh box white and I haven't tried them yet.  I'm not planning on stopping there and my next buy might be the kailh silent box pink or brown.

Whit that you can also try different set of keycaps, different material and profile.   

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD