Upgrade CPU also now or wait ?

MedicGarou

I will hopefully be getting an RTX 3080 or 3090 when the bots stop .... botting .... and am currently running an Intel 9700K CPU.. Would I be better off to upgrade my CPU now or wait a few months to see what Intel and AMD have in store for new chips; Of course I know that as of today Intel does not support PCIE 4.0 but that is "supposed" to change with the next generation.  Either way I go I will also need a motherboard as the upgrade so, I guess I'm really just wondering if the i7 9700k is still a good CPU for the 3000 series. 

3 minutes ago, MedicGarou said:

or wait a few months

Feel free to wait a few years

Unless you're one of those people who have a lot of money and want shiny new things for the heck of it (not being condescending, it's a legitimate position to have, it's just pretty rare) it will take a pretty long time for 9700K to call for an upgrade

8 minutes ago, MedicGarou said:

I will hopefully be getting an RTX 3080 or 3090 when the bots stop .... botting .... and am currently running an Intel 9700K CPU.. Would I be better off to upgrade my CPU now or wait a few months to see what Intel and AMD have in store for new chips; Of course I know that as of today Intel does not support PCIE 4.0 but that is "supposed" to change with the next generation.  Either way I go I will also need a motherboard as the upgrade so, I guess I'm really just wondering if the i7 9700k is still a good CPU for the 3000 series. 

What are your PC specs? 3070 may be better for you. And you would be saving money. But also maybe wait for the 3070 Super as that could be perfect for you while you wouldn't be spending as much either.

There is actual zero reason to change your CPU.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, MedicGarou said:

why would you want to upgrade a 9700k?

you can overclock it if you want a little boost

your next cpu upgrade should be in atleast 3 or more years, to a 9900K

that would be a perfect upgrade but not now, you'll just burn your money

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee