DSR Downsampling to 4k Instead of 1440p

metaleggman
Go to solution Solved by metaleggman,

So I've been playing around with a lot of older titles ever since I built my rig earlier in the year (most recent one is FarCry, but I've been playing through the steam version of Half-Life 1 as well).  I've played around with DSR in Half-Life mostly with success (besides menus lmao, rip), getting like 144+ fps even on like 4x 1440p.  However, when playing a game not in the GeForce Experience App, like FarCry, I can set the DSR resolution just fine in game, but the signal sent to my monitor is downsampled to 4k instead of 1440p.  The issue with this is that I'd obviously much rather have a 1440p signal so my monitor can utilize its 144hz refresh rate, instead of a 4k60 signal my monitor downsamples to 1440p60.  I'm trying to identify if this is a driver issue or somehow an issue with my monitor.  I'm running a 2060 connected through hdmi to an ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ.  As I said, DSR works fine with games through the GeForce Experience app (the meager few that could even benefit from DSR on a 2060 lmao) output as 1440p at 144hz, as do games rendering natively at 1440p, it's just non-GeForce Experience app supported titles when attempting dsr.

If anyone has any ideas as to why this is happening, or how to fix it, let me know.  Thanks in advance!

NB: for games where it's not working properly, I just try out SGSSAA or something like that using nvidia inspector, so it's not the end of the world haha.  I just want to make sure I'm properly implementing DSR n such, since the documentation isn't amazing, and nvidia's forums are a mess lol.

Figured it out; I had to use Custom Resolution Utility to get rid of the 4K TV resolution. https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU  Seems to work great now!

So I've been playing around with a lot of older titles ever since I built my rig earlier in the year (most recent one is FarCry, but I've been playing through the steam version of Half-Life 1 as well).  I've played around with DSR in Half-Life mostly with success (besides menus lmao, rip), getting like 144+ fps even on like 4x 1440p.  However, when playing a game not in the GeForce Experience App, like FarCry, I can set the DSR resolution just fine in game, but the signal sent to my monitor is downsampled to 4k instead of 1440p.  The issue with this is that I'd obviously much rather have a 1440p signal so my monitor can utilize its 144hz refresh rate, instead of a 4k60 signal my monitor downsamples to 1440p60.  I'm trying to identify if this is a driver issue or somehow an issue with my monitor.  I'm running a 2060 connected through hdmi to an ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ.  As I said, DSR works fine with games through the GeForce Experience app (the meager few that could even benefit from DSR on a 2060 lmao) output as 1440p at 144hz, as do games rendering natively at 1440p, it's just non-GeForce Experience app supported titles when attempting dsr.

If anyone has any ideas as to why this is happening, or how to fix it, let me know.  Thanks in advance!

NB: for games where it's not working properly, I just try out SGSSAA or something like that using nvidia inspector, so it's not the end of the world haha.  I just want to make sure I'm properly implementing DSR n such, since the documentation isn't amazing, and nvidia's forums are a mess lol.

Figured it out; I had to use Custom Resolution Utility to get rid of the 4K TV resolution. https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU  Seems to work great now!