Oculus Link

Bobskos

i have been wanting to get in to vr for a long time, so i wanted to buy a quest. but i wanted to link it to my computer but i dont have usb c output. and i cant find any hdmi to usb c adapters, only usb c to hdmi for phones and chromebooks and stuff like that. if you knew any adapters or solutions they would be appreciated. thanks

My Quest is plugged into a USB 3 Type A port and works fine with Oculus Link.  I am using the Anker Powerline II cable, because it is fast enough for the task.  Plus it isn't super expensive!

2 minutes ago, Warin said:

My Quest is plugged into a USB 3 Type A port and works fine with Oculus Link.  I am using the Anker Powerline II cable, because it is fast enough for the task.  Plus it isn't super expensive!

can the type a port be anywhere on the computer and still use the gpu.

So Link is actually a streaming solution.  The headset never gets plugged into your GPU directly  Your GPU does all the heavy lifting, and streams the result to the headset, which does its magic and sends control inputs back.  I've tried it with Fallout 4 VR, Skyrim VR, No Mans Sky, and Elite Dangerous and it works really well.  In a couple of weeks, I will know how well it works for Star Wars Squadrons.

So yes, any USB 3 port seems to work.

3 minutes ago, Warin said:

So Link is actually a streaming solution.  The headset never gets plugged into your GPU directly  Your GPU does all the heavy lifting, and streams the result to the headset, which does its magic and sends control inputs back.  I've tried it with Fallout 4 VR, Skyrim VR, No Mans Sky, and Elite Dangerous and it works really well.  In a couple of weeks, I will know how well it works for Star Wars Squadrons.

thanks so much, i did not know that. i thought you had to plug it into your gpu. you are the best

Thanks!

Don't buy a Quest this minute.  Chances are the Quest 2 will get announced tomorrow, so wait and see what that brings to the table.  Hopefully it is more for the same price and the older models will get a nice price reduction, letting you make the decision then.

5 hours ago, Warin said:

does this cord look good, its usb 3.0