Why did AMD video cards' prices soar?

Ahsan

I noticed the prices of amd card are extremely highly lately.

What's the reason?

Processor- AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity Quad-Core 3.4GHz. Motherboard- MSI Socket FM2 FM2-A75MA-E35. GPU- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti SC 2GB GDDR5. RAM-  4GB Corsair Vengeance. Storage- 750GB Seagate Barracuda HDD. PSU- Corsair CX500. Case- Rosewill Line-M MiniATX.

Dell Inspiron N5110 intel i5

coin mining.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Supply and demand. Miners discovered that amd cards were very good at coin mining and so they bought them all. Retailers reacted to this by raising prices.

bitcoin 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

coin mining, lots of people buying 10+ cards instead of just a single one. if demand for your cards went up 10x, the price is going to shoot up. I know i know, not everyone whos into gaming and pc mines, but still. the demand for cards is insane. 

who makes the money in coin mining? people selling the cards:P

One of the OEM's told us it was due to a lack of supply of chips from AMD. They denied that bitcoin had had any real effect on the sales, they were simply getting too few chips to keep up production. They were also having issues getting GDDR as well.

Its a common perception that its coin mining but the OEMs don't think so, they think AMD just isn't making enough chips, and no where near what is necessary for the predicted demand.

Coin mining (litecoin) most likely, I purchased my 7950 for $250 CAD a month before the new generation of cards came out. Was pretty lucky too because that was right before the coin craze.