Can't get system to output video

ProjectBox153

Hi everyone. I have a system that's still new to me. I got it for free a while back when I went to pick up a case that someone was giving away locally. The person giving away the case decided to leave the old hardware in it for the person that got it to mess around with. The specs are as follows (it's the second system in my signature):

• Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 Motherboard (Z68, LGA1155, ATX)
  • 16GB GeIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 (4x4GB)
  • Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T, 3.4GHz, Intel Stock Cooler)
  • Antec Lanboy Air Yellow
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
  • OEM Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 256MB
  • 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650 SATA III
  • Dell 750W PSU (pulled from Dell XPS 630i, known good, replacing the original 850W Thermaltake TR2 RX supply that went bad)

Work has been pretty busy for me so I didn't get a chance to check the machine out immediately, but when I did the power supply was bad. I had been using this system for several days with no issues after replacing the faulty power supply. I've yet to tear the original supply apart to see what went wrong with it, but all the hardware connected to it seemed fine, and like I said worked with a good PSU. The problem with not getting any video output started shortly after installing two optical drives. That's it, no other modifications were done. The system seems to be booting into Windows according to the hard disk activity light on the front of the case, but I can't get any output on the display. The monitor (Dell UltraSharp 19") acts as though it is about to get a signal and turns the backlight on, but it doesn't actually show anything. The monitor works fine on every other device. 

I'm just making this post to ask about suggestions for what I should look into first. Any ideas? The system was working completely normally until shortly after I installed and connected 2 optical drives. The drives worked fine in Windows and I shut the machine down to turn the drives to face the right side panel instead of the front, but nothing was changed regarding connections in any way. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I'm just at a bit of a loss.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

30 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

a bit of a loss

Unplug the optical drives, see what happens

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

16 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Unplug the optical drives, see what happens

Sorry, forgot to mention that I've tried that. No difference. Both optical drives work fine. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Does it work just fine when the optical drives are removed? If so then perhaps purchase 2 SATA to USB adapters and use them with your optical drives instead of having them plugged into the motherboard with SATA. If the PC doesn’t output video anymore now regardless, then perhaps remove the optical drives and the HDD/SSD and boot into UEFI/BIOS and see if that works with no problem, if there is no Video out still at all the troubleshoot starting from your GPU to your CPU ( you said your PSU is good then dw about it but if you doubt your PSU then check that first ). Hope this helps 

On 9/15/2020 at 7:28 PM, BAUTURAsMANELE said:

Does it work just fine when the optical drives are removed? If so then perhaps purchase 2 SATA to USB adapters and use them with your optical drives instead of having them plugged into the motherboard with SATA. If the PC doesn’t output video anymore now regardless, then perhaps remove the optical drives and the HDD/SSD and boot into UEFI/BIOS and see if that works with no problem, if there is no Video out still at all the troubleshoot starting from your GPU to your CPU ( you said your PSU is good then dw about it but if you doubt your PSU then check that first ). Hope this helps 

With both optical drives removed the system still doesn't work. I can't get into the UEFI setup no matter what. The power supply is fine (old, but still good). I'm going to troubleshoot it some more soon. Thank you.