UBUNTU desktop 20.04 LTS as NAS server

Go to solution Solved by AvMaverick,
46 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yes, the great thing about Linux is you can do pretty much anything you want with pretty much any version of it. There's no real difference between desktop and server variants aside from the packages that come preloaded.

For a NAS to share with Windows & Linux machines SAMBA/SMB (SAMBA is the Linux version of Microsoft's SMB protocol) is the preferred choice.

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-configure-samba-server-share-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

Thanks. Was looking for this too!

Hello

For some reasons I have running 24/7 Ubuntu desktop 20.04 LTS old computer (xeon 3450, 16gb ram, 2x 500gb). It is possible to turn this UBUNTU DESKTOP! to NAS server? I was googling but found some old threads or non working manuals. Can somebody navigate me step by step?

Thanks lot

Yes, the great thing about Linux is you can do pretty much anything you want with pretty much any version of it. There's no real difference between desktop and server variants aside from the packages that come preloaded.

For a NAS to share with Windows & Linux machines SAMBA/SMB (SAMBA is the Linux version of Microsoft's SMB protocol) is the preferred choice.

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-configure-samba-server-share-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Sure, no problem. If you don't want a bunch of useless apps in a server context but still have the desktop choose "minimal install" during the setup.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

46 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Thanks. Was looking for this too!

On 9/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, Master Disaster said:

Thanks lot. This is what I wanted. I am new at linux and I still have some problems with this configuration. I am doinf something probably wrong...

I stucked at step 4. I cant add anything to the file smb.conf because I am not owner. I cannot save that file. Any ideas

11 minutes ago, llubbo said:

I stucked at step 4. I cant add anything to the file smb.conf because I am not owner. I cannot save that file. Any ideas

I think ubuntu uses gedit by default?

You need to open it with root permissions, use sudo

• sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

15 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I think ubuntu uses gedit by default?

You need to open it with root permissions, use sudo

• sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

solved. Thanks. I already installed everything. I am trying now to add it to my notebook WIN10. in step 10 is written that I have to type in ip address of samba server. Where can I find this IP

5 minutes ago, llubbo said:

solved. Thanks. I already installed everything. I am trying now to add it to my notebook WIN10. in step 10 is written that I have to type in ip address of samba server. Where can I find this IP

in a terminal -> ip addr | grep inet

4 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

in a terminal -> ip addr | grep inet

I was not able to find this command. You are small god for me now. I am connected now. Thanks lot.

I am connected on my network now. Will this connection work also when I will be connected in my work on another internet connection<

9 minutes ago, llubbo said:

I was not able to find this command. You are small god for me now. I am connected now. Thanks lot.

I am connected on my network now. Will this connection work also when I will be connected in my work on another internet connection<

No, for that you will need a public ip address.  https://www.whatsmyip.org/

You will also need to port forward the following ports in your router.

137 udp

138 udp

139 tcp

445 tcp

Keep in mind that when you connect with your public ip address, you are reliant on your internet connection both at home and wherever you go.

When your connected locally using the local ip, you will only be reliant on your own network.

If your opening it up to the world, it may be a good idea to remove the "[public]" section of smb.conf and disable guest access.

3 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

No, for that you will need a public ip address.  https://www.whatsmyip.org/

You will also need to port forward the following ports in your router.

137 udp

138 udp

139 tcp

445 tcp

Keep in mind that when you connect with your public ip address, you are reliant on your internet connection both at home and wherever you go.

When your connected locally using the local ip, you will only be reliant on your own network.

If your opening it up to the world, it may be a good idea to remove the "[public]" section of smb.conf and disable guest access.

I didnt add guest access, but I can see on network all folders. I want to choose only 1. ie documents. How can I start with that for now<

4 minutes ago, llubbo said:

I didnt add guest access, but I can see on network all folders. I want to choose only 1. ie documents. How can I start with that for now<

Remove the [homes] section in smb.conf

then add a section

[mysharename]
  comment = a comment for your share
  path = /path/to/folder/to/share
  valid users = username
  force group = usergroup
  public = no
  writable = yes
  create mask = 0664
  directory mask = 2775
  force create mode = 0664
  force directory mode = 2775

You might also look through https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/samba while it is the Arch Wiki, most of it is still relevant to other distributions.